Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My miners doesn't mine [0.40.23]  (Read 5209 times)

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My miners doesn't mine [0.40.23]
« on: December 26, 2014, 02:10:26 pm »

So everything seems fine but mine miners won't mine anything that is below priority 2 anymore.

I think it has something to do with me designating a priority two Ore/Gems area that they dug the first layer then nothing.

is it bugged in this version or what am I doing wrong. They can path to the area and if I change the designation from prio 3 to 2 they will dig it.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My miners doesn't mine [0.40.23]
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 02:42:11 pm »

It seems like climbing combined with channeling destroyed the game...

I designated a dug a 200 levels deep channel 1x1 square. My miner dug 3-4 levels then CLIMBED UP, and he won't climb down again to finish the job. Since the channel had priority 3 anything below 3 now doesn't get dug out.

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2014, 08:41:51 pm »

My dorfs if can not reach designation with higher priority, They still dig lover ones...
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2014, 09:06:38 pm »

Dwarves will not dig into any available lower-priority tile (say, 5) if there's a non-Marked, higher-priority tile (say, 3) designated for digging anywhere else. This applies even if the miner can't actually reach the higher-priority tile. It's a bug.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2014, 01:40:41 am »

Has a bug report been made?

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 09:01:17 am »

If anyone has a save demonstrating this please upload it to dffd and post a link at: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=8649

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 11:00:02 pm »

Just don't throw your priorities around like they would solve themselves, mining a continous line of valuable stone may take months for a dwarf, and you will want to do many things over that, so give it a low priority, then dwarves will mine the vein once they finish that higher priority room or something...
In a time before time, I had a name.

suburbanplankton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »

I'm having a slightly different problem; I can't get my Miners to stop hauling and start mining.

If they are already mining, they will happily continue until they've mined out all designated areas, but if they find themselves idle and start hauling, and then I designate more areas for mining, they will ignore their primary job until every last horse bone scepter, granite mechanism, and pond turtle shell has been dragged to its appointed stockpile.  It doesn't seem to matter whether I set the mining job to priority 7 or priority 1; any hauling job seems to take precedence over every mining job...but only if the Miner in question is already hauling when the new mining job is designated.  The same goes for my Woodcutter...and I think for my Engraver, though I'm not certain on the latter (but I assume the same logic would be used for all three jobs, since they're all prioritized now).

It's easy enough to work around the problem by disabling hauling for my Miners, but I'd rather not have to go to that level of micro-management...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 04:56:35 pm »

Is the hauling "hauling item to depot"?
Depot hauling is very high priority, and takes over a lot of jobs, not just mining or woodcuting.

suburbanplankton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 12:45:04 pm »

It's any and all hauling jobs, not just Depot-related.

I'll have to do some more testing to figure out if this is actually a bug or not, but at the moment it seems:

If the miner is already mining when hauling jobs are created, the miner will continue to mine, letting other dwarves pick up the hauling jobs.
Once the miner has no more mining jobs, he will pick up an available hauling job.
Once the miner starts hauling, he will not pick up any newly created mining jobs until all hauling jobs are done.
After all hauling jobs are complete, he will pick up the available mining jobs and everything proceeds 'normally'.

If I disable the various hauling-related labors for the miner (e.g. 'item hauling', 'food hauling'), those choices are respected, and if I turn off all hauling-related labors, the problem does not occur.

I'll play around some more and see if I can spot any other conditions that might be affecting this behavior...

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 12:59:11 pm »

Toady left a comment for the next update that sounds like a fix to your bug, check the main page.