Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Are they ever going to come out of their shells?  (Read 959 times)

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Are they ever going to come out of their shells?
« on: December 29, 2014, 07:31:53 pm »

A herd (pod?) if Gigantic Tortoises trundled onto the plot of land occupied by Silverportal at the start of spring and swiftly got two of their number captured in cage traps.

When one of my dorfs ran over to bring in the catch, I figured he was going to be stomped to custard by the massive reptiles. Instead, every one of them (literally) turned yellow with the combat message: 'Gigantic Tortoise has retracted into his shell!'

One even waited patiently on top of a cage trap while a dorf reloaded it and was caught instantly. That's all fine.

What's not fine is that the rest of the herd has sat there for the past two months in their shells, doing nothing. I would start my military and send them out to train by punching these juggernauts, but I still need to capture a male for breeding purposes. Are they just going to sit there forever?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Are they ever going to come out of their shells?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 08:13:49 pm »

Briefly pasture your female tortoises next to a male tortoise then recage them.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

lcy03406

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 03:58:21 am »

dig a hole.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:38:25 am »

Set up a water tower to wash them into the traps. Alternatively, release something scary but harmless on the side of them opposite to the traps, preferably after having put walls in place so they'll only be capable of running in one direction.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:22:14 am »

Would they run though? Getting scared is what got them into their shells in the first place.

The Bard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 12:27:02 pm »

So I just went and built cage traps under each of them, trapped and tamed them all.

After taming and pasturing, they all remain in the shell except for the one that was caught in the first place.