Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Testing Arena and modded creature names  (Read 835 times)

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Testing Arena and modded creature names
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:07:54 pm »

I always have a problem getting my creatures' names to show up right in the testing arena list. I don't have too many problems getting their names to show up inside the arena, but when looking through the list to find them, it seems to come out wrong. Current case in point:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the list that animal shows up as "nothing" male and "nothing" female. Can someone explain how to fix this?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Testing Arena and modded creature names
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »

"[CASTE_NAME: mrrrow:mrrrows;mrrrowish]", replace with "[CASTE_NAME:mrrrow:mrrrows:mrrrowish]".
Not sure if it is THE problem, but it is A problem.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 03:21:51 pm »

I think milo found the naming issue.

Also, you should select all castes again before going into the color modifiers.  As it is, only males have coloration.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 03:23:08 pm »

Thank you! That fixed it. And thanks for the color heads up.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 04:03:50 pm »

OT: I remember once when a "none" came to my fort and stole a battle axe, "none has stolen a -copper battle axe-!", a laughed so hard imagining the axe growing legs and running off.
(it was a modded female raccoon)
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 10:59:57 pm »

Yeah, that does sound amusing. I'm working on making a playable civ of them for my own amusement. Might even post it here when I'm done. For now I've just got the creatures made and troubleshot. Thanks for the proofreading. Now I can head into deeper stuff. Including making throwing discs for weapons.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 12:50:56 pm »

Some simple advice for the throwing discs. You'll need to make a ranged weapon called a disc thrower or something to have it work. you could also have the weapon be called a throwing disc then make its melee attack stats the same as the discs themselves. It would be a bit strange to put throwing discs into your throwing disc to throw the discs, but fortress mode throwing weapons need some compromise.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 06:52:26 pm »

Throwing spears work better with an atlatl. I don't mind working with a disc thrower. Truth is, while I've messed with Entities and created civilized creatures before, I always kludged them together from elsewhere. So making a whole new weapon is a first for me. I'll probably be back here with a new round of problems once I crack down on building the Civ.