Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves refuse to stockpile stone?  (Read 801 times)

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves refuse to stockpile stone?
« on: December 29, 2014, 03:42:21 pm »

I'm trying to improve my stone management without just dumping everything, especially since stockpiles can use wheelbarrows to increase hauling speed.

My embark site is primarily microcline and gabbro with a mixture of other stone types, but for consistency purposes, I created three stockpiles, each with three wheelbarrows: one for microcline, one for gabbro, one for everything else.

I already had a p-->s stone stockpile out front of my fort, which I deleted with p-->x after designating the three internal stockpiles.

I now have 20 idling dwarves, and no one is hauling anything ANYWHERE!

Here's a screenshot of my internal stockpiles:

Please note that the microcline and gabbro you see in the screenshot were not hauled there by dorfs, they were already there when I dug out the chamber!

And here's the old de-designated external stockpile:

What's going on? Is it because of the boulders already on top of the new stockpiles? Should I dump them and re-claim?

I always seem to run into ridiculous stockpile issues. For example, I desperately wanted to engrave the bucket for my well with gems, but I could not for the life of me convince these dorfs to put the damn thing in the stockpile that fed to my special jeweler's workshop. I had it set to accept ONLY silver buckets of any quality level, and I even tried dumping it and re-claiming it, but by God, they just left it sitting there in the garbage dump tile until I gave up and used it for the well without engraving it. Ugh!

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves refuse to stockpile stone?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 04:16:50 pm »

Dangit! Now that I'm re-examining my stockpiles, I see that the dorfs are also refusing to move some leather I just bought from my general stockpile into a leather stockpile:

When they first refused, I disabled Leather storage for the general stockpile, figuring it would convince them to finally move it, but no dice!

What is up with these frickin' dorfs?!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 05:21:05 pm »

Are wheelbarrows enabled for those stockpiles at all? I've noticed my dwarves tend to wait for wheelbarrows to become available before doing hauling jobs in relevant stockpiles. Bit of a bother, really.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 06:51:26 pm »

Are wheelbarrows enabled for those stockpiles at all? I've noticed my dwarves tend to wait for wheelbarrows to become available before doing hauling jobs in relevant stockpiles. Bit of a bother, really.

There are clearly wheelbarrows in each stockpile in his screen shot.  Stupid question- is STONE hauling enabled on all your dorfs? Did you accidently forbid the stones? I know there is an orders command to ignore wood.  There were some multi-hauling bugs but I believe they were largely fixed by .23, and they mostly bothered smiths and farmers. 

Hit "j" and check your pending jobs screen.  Are there any "take stone to stockpile" jobs lined up?  If not I'd double check your stockpile settings to make sure you didn't hit something else by accident. 

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 06:53:29 pm »

Yes, make sure stone hauling is enabled. Also make sure that your dwarves are on "No Job" and not "Attend Party".
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:55:45 pm »

Check your stockpiles for "take from" orders.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 12:53:46 am »

Stone Hauling: Enabled

"No Job" status: Yep

"Take from" orders: None

Stones forbidden/dumped: No

I also double-checked the settings... Microcline in one, Gabbro in the other, everything else in the last.

Still stumped!

Tonren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 01:51:58 am »

I think it was because I had disabled both "Allow Plant/Animal" and "Allow Non-Plant/Animal" in "Additional Options".