Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tileset bugged, symbols are strange and disconcerting  (Read 992 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tileset bugged, symbols are strange and disconcerting
« on: December 29, 2014, 01:38:13 am »

So I recently started dwarf fortress back up and I was greeted with an eye-destroying mess:

What you are viewing is the z-1 level of a surface pond. Inside, the water looks normal as do the single square of tree roots. However, the surrounding sand walls as well as the few blocks of basalt have decided to display as some absurd set of letters rather than the expected solid colors.

I am aware that some minerals appear with symbols, but sand should never display as it is here.

I have tried on a fresh, vanilla download as well and two different tilesets. Perhaps it has to do with the new version breaking old versions of tileset? I'm not entirely sure, hopefully one of you have encountered and could lend me some advice.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Tileset bugged, symbols are strange and disconcerting
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:24:24 am »

Which tileset are you using? Additionally, how are you installing it?

Tilesets may use different tiles for different purposes, and may change around some of the raws. Just inserting the tileset without altering the raws to match up may have a result like the example you posted.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 10:10:43 am »

Yeah, that looks like a save whose raws are set up to cater to a Phoebus tilesheet.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 07:43:58 pm »

Yeah, that looks like a save whose raws are set up to cater to a Phoebus tilesheet.

You have solved the issue! Thanks :D

A previous player in the community fortress had used the LNP and modified the save's raws. Hopefully someone in the future can find this thread useful.