Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Point of figniting a fire?  (Read 1106 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Point of figniting a fire?
« on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:00 pm »

WHat's the point of fires? Temp only?
Can you cook on it? I have a few wolf corpses and I can lick them only... Is it possible to eat them?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Re: Point of figniting a fire?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

As of now no. But in a few versions probly.
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 06:53:00 pm »

To eat corpses, you need to build a Butcher's workshop ("b", then "w", then... "u", I think?), and have a dwarf with the Butchery skill enabled. You can either set the order to Butcher from the workshop, or you turn on auto-butcher via the Orders menu ("o," can't remember the rest).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 07:02:00 pm »

Ouch I was not very certain.
I meant the adventure mode.

Ahh I'm torn by wolves -.-

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:41:00 pm »

I would like to see fire traps

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 01:24:00 am »

Yes, fire keeps you from freezing to death when walking in cold climates late at night.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 02:01:00 am »

Well, you can set a fire and then stand behind it, which will cause whatever creature is following you to stop in the flames in order to attack you.

It's not much, but it can help on the drawn-out fights.

Also, what's "figniting"?  Is that where you throw fruit at something until it bursts into flames?

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:05:00 am »

If you are sneaking and light something on fire with a creature next to it, sometimes the creature won't move and will burn to death which is funny.

other then that, it does seem rather pointless at the moment.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

I meant "igniting" =).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Run Comrades

• Bay Watcher
  • Jovian Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/acylon
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 11:37:00 am »

Kagus: laughing my ass off!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

I actually did this once with a burning loincloth (proudly my very own - was the most useless piece of armor at the moment) to get some free equipment. It was one of those moments when a lot of people suddenly crowd in the tavern, and there were a few guards with nice weaponry. So I lit a tree, threw the loincloth at it, waited for it to ignite, then picked it up and quickly threw it at the guards. The net result after a few RL minutes of loitering about - seven dead humans and a high-quality iron scimitar with an image of a local deity.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 03:30:00 pm »

Wow >_<
This game in adventure mode lacks a lot of features, even from ADOM.
But still (with very limited number of skills an options) it has VERY interesting ways of doing stuff.
I hope the adv. mod will be expanded too (I'd like to see pooring the water in water sacks as long as staving due the map travelling and cooking raw corpses and fish). Errr so much to add.... Can someone help the main developer please? =)
And why is it a "solo" project? A lot of guys working under such cool man as Toady would be a great squad to polish the game. I'd love to help too, but I know just some C and Python only -.- .

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Deon ]

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 04:08:00 pm »

Toady and ThreeToe from what I gather are doing this mostly for their own entertainment.  They also showed that they don't really want multiple people working on it, probably as much as a logistics thing as a personal one.

I know that if anyone started messing with any of my (small, unfinished, hopeless) games and I wasn't standing over their shoulder watching their every move I would freak out.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2008, 04:30:00 pm »

Fire is good! If you mod the files to play as a Spirit of Fire, although disturbingly frail to arrow fire and the like, they burn EVERYTHING.

The most fun you can have legally is going up to an enemy, grabbing them by the shirt and holding them until they burn to death. Once their clothes light on fire, it's a matter of time. Funny thing is, if you stand over/sit on chairs or beds or tables in taverns, they'll light up pretty quickly. As will grass and virtually everything else.

According to the raws, so far, the Spirit of Fire is the hotest creature in the game and I believe almost twice as hot as the next hotest creature (A fire-man or magma-man I believe).

So yeah, lighting trees on fire will have a similar but much slower effect provided somebody stays in the fire area long enough for their clothes to burn.

EDIT: If you're interested in trying this (in 32a, latest) the fastest way I know of is to go into "entity_default.txt" in the raw/objects folder. Go to [ENTITY:PLAINS] then to [CREATURE:HUMAN] - change HUMAN to SPIRIT_OF_FIRE and start up adventurer mode. You should see "Spirit of Fire: Play now!" and off you go. You'll probably want to save and change it back, then continue.  :D

[ February 08, 2008: Message edited by: Keiseth ]

BlueDestiny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 02:05:00 am »

I really wish we could control fire breath in adventure mode. Although modding it in fortress mod is hilarious: My Infernals would run up and torch any wild animal, leaving melted snow and burned grass everywhere.