Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Understanding Aqueducts  (Read 619 times)

rylen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Understanding Aqueducts
« on: October 14, 2006, 02:02:00 pm »

The other day, I tried building a moat.  The first bit went well.  Water into a channel -- just like farming.

Then, I wanted lava, too.  So I dug my second channel, put in an aqueduct, and blammo.

Well, after dealing with some other problems, I take it out to start over.  No dice.

Now I'm trying again.  Except I'll never be able to drain the moat.  Stuff will just sit in it.  And, considering what I hear about dwarves leaping into lava channels for things, I doubt I can burn it away.

Still, I've learned a few things.
--aqueducts work as bridges
--an aqueduct needs to be open at two ends
--if water is anywhere near a channel, it will get in

So, better luck next fortress.  I think I'll start a crisis soon.  Go looking for pit demons or such.  I haven't seen those yet.

Rylen

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Understanding Aqueducts
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 06:21:00 pm »

Your problem the first time is that an aquaduct has to have TWO exits--left and right--or the water (or lava) won't flow.
If you knowtice in the first pic the right side of your aqaduct has the same ASCII character as the sides.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 06:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Draco18s:
Your problem the first time is that an aquaduct has to have TWO exits--left and right

You can also create T-shape and intersection ( + ) aquaducts. pressing W, A, S, and D will create the desired opening in the aquaduct; A+D will create a horizontal aquaduct, while W+S would create a vertical one.

Also note that aquaducts, if either of the 3 end peices are NOT touching land, the aquaduct WILL flood with that liquid! This means that an aquaduct that only goes halfway across the lava river will fill with lava.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 08:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>

Also note that aquaducts, if either of the 3 end peices are NOT touching land, the aquaduct WILL flood with that liquid! This means that an aquaduct that only goes halfway across the lava river will fill with lava.</STRONG>

So we need to make sure all 3 squares of any exit side are on solid land, or it will get a leak?

Bryjnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 05:37:00 am »

It's worse than that. I can tell you from recent experience, if one of the end pieces is even adjacent to water, it will flood. Trust me, I tried several times. This effectively means that with aqueducts at their current length you can only successfully use one across a straight bit of river; it is actually impossible if it's at an angle. I'm resorting to flooding the lava across a bridge, which will hopefully work.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 01:16:00 am »

By the way, does a one-ended aqueduct serve ANY  purpose whatsoever?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 02:16:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Skyrage:
By the way, does a one-ended aqueduct serve ANY  purpose whatsoever?

I suppose you could place it over water, the chasm, or lava, then fill it with water forcing creatures to walk around it, and as they do, open a lava floodgate and steam them?

Otherwise, if it does have a purpose, i havn't found it yet.

Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Silveron

• Bay Watcher
  • Arichect of Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 11:27:00 am »

From what I've seen so far the aquaduct has an underlying channel for a skeleton.

So this 3x6 open left and right..

code:

XXXXXX
XXXXXX

Has a channel system like this internally...

code:

w    w
w_----_w
w    w

Which as mentioned will pull water from any of the w squares due to the end pieces being flagged as actual channels. The middle tiles act differently than standard channels.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 12:30:00 pm »

its possible to use two bridges to span a large piece of river/whatever, can you use two aquaducts for the same thing?

For example, can you build a closed floodgate to prevent flooding, then build a aquaduct accross half of the distance, and then build another aquaduct across the other half?

if it IS possible, would it perpetually flood once you removed the floodgate, or would placing the second aquaduct start an antiflood?

or would it be possible to engineer an anti-flood by first placing a floodgate on dry land, second opening it, third placing an aquaduct next to it, fourth closing the floodgate and creating an antiflood.

??