Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: cave creatures  (Read 1288 times)

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
cave creatures
« on: December 28, 2014, 12:36:44 pm »

have they become too frequent?

in the last minutes i have killed a giant olm, a GCS, a cave croc, a giant toad, another giant olm and another cave croc. my militia passes more time killing stuff than training, is not like it is a bad thing but they are too frequent.

i mean, im getting one agressive creature after another. there should be a time between these creatures to appear.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 12:40:03 pm by xaritscin »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: cave creatures
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 01:23:49 pm »

From what I've seen, this is pretty typical behavior. One large creature replacing another once it's dead that is. I agree there should be a bit of a cooldown between wildlife "waves", since it is kinda silly.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 04:46:11 pm »

Do they not go extinct after a while ? I know they did before 0.40.xx if you were overzealous with your hunting or cage trapping.

I think i'm going to cage trap the hell out of my first cavern exits and see if I get an infinite amount of giant cave spiders haha i wish, i'll probably have more crundles than cages
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 04:50:05 pm by Naryar »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »

Do they not go extinct after a while ? I know they did before 0.40.xx if you were overzealous with your hunting or cage trapping.

I think i'm going to cage trap the hell out of my first cavern exits and see if I get an infinite amount of giant cave spiders haha i wish, i'll probably have more crundles than cages
I thought caging them kept their "wave" active and prevented new large predators from spawning?

It is a funny mental image with giant cave spiders waiting nervously a couple meters outside the map edge, able to see into your territory but waiting for the previous wave to get killed before deciding to enter.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 05:46:01 pm »

i dont know about that. but i have killed several GCS, ogres, trolls, crocs, giant olms, crundles, troglodytes and even a cave dragon and they still come. dralthas and rutherers are incredibly rare. same for elk birds and jabberers. bugbats appear from time to time too. and some naked mole dogs. but its mostly the first ones i mentioned. ahh. and giant toads. i could set a whole farm with those.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 06:19:48 pm »

I thought caging them kept their "wave" active and prevented new large predators from spawning?

Yeah, it does. But since I usually tame what I catch...

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 07:47:19 am »

I'd capture those bugbats, if you're willing to mod them to be trainable. They can be quite vicious in large numbers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:48:53 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

So, I cage-trapped all my first cavern floor accesses.

And the. animals. never. stop. coming.

:O
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 12:08:41 pm by Naryar »

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »

If you train them, you'll have quite the army. Also, what the actual HFS.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

hegchog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 05:27:40 pm »

In my fort I have next to no important cavern creatures. They are all just crundels or troglodytes with one giant mole every now and then.

xaritscin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:04:59 pm »

it seems the surroundings have an influence on the rate of creature spawning, the problem is that it maybe be a little too much. it seems to depend in the location, i had the same rates of spawning both in a wilderness and in a joyous wild. the wilderness should have a minor rate of spawning due to being a neutral/neutral location, but it has the same as a good/savage one.

maybe is random as much of the things in the game