Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arena SCIENCE  (Read 616 times)

Elagn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arena SCIENCE
« on: December 31, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »

For fun, when messing around with the temperature controls in the arena, I discovered a way to shape the landscape of the arena at will to what I want for testing purposes.

The method of forming rock in the arena is easy, and known, put down water then lava on top to create rock.

Removing rock is more complicated.

With the new temperature controls, it is possible to remove blocks. This is done by putting water on the block(s) that you wish to remove. Then set the temperature to a setting that will freeze the water to ice. (Absolute Zero works very well). The creation of ice on the blocks destroys the original block and makes only an ice block there. Turning the temperature back up will convert the ice to water, or sublimate the water if turned up to fire or above.

The sublimation of the water still leaves behind mud, which can be easily removed with the remove contaminants button under weather. Unfortunatly, the effect of sublimating/evaporating the water/ice instantly drains the lake and rivers, as well as lighting all exposed vegitiation ablaze.

There are some interesting side effects, for example, if the arena has gotten very messy with blood and body parts, setting the temperature to dragonfire will literaly vaporize every organic item in the arena, and light living plants ablaze, including nethercaps, which should be immune, and excluding dragons.
"Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" Einstein

"Measure what is measurable and make measurable what is not so" Galileo

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
Re: Arena SCIENCE
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:20:47 pm »

Yeah, that's what I found out too. It's a lot of fun to mess around with the arena. I kind of want to freeze the whole edge and bottom z-level and let it drop to see what happens, but it takes way too long and gets kind of boring.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.