Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mandate: make bismuth item  (Read 658 times)

langri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mandate: make bismuth item
« on: February 07, 2008, 04:38:00 pm »

So my Count Consort recently decided to take his unnatural love for Bismuth to a new level.  I'm required to produce 1 bismuth item.

I have 6 bismuth bars acquired from a human caravan.  Apparently, and according to the wiki, the only thing bismuth bars can be used for is to produce bismuth bronze.... so I did.  This did not satisfy the mandate, and I didn't really expect it to.

I tried crafting a bismuth bronze item... and the mandate has not been satisfied.  

How does one produce a bismuth item to satisfy this mandate?

JoRo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mandate: make bismuth item
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 06:19:00 pm »

I had this once, and what (I think) satisfied it was making bismuth bars out of bismuthinite.  But if you only have the bars, that really isn't an option.  Maybe you can designate the bars for melting and see if turning them into new bismuth bars will work?
You have been struck down.
The giant cave spider spits out your head.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:34:00 pm »

Try making Wall Bars (not Grates), see if that works. If it does, you should be able to remove it right away to keep the bar for next time. If that doesn't work, I think your only option is, as mentioned above, to get your hands on the ore (and make sure to always keep some on hand) so you can make bars whenever he decides he wants bismuth items in the future.
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:06:00 pm »

Melting metal items gives you back 1/3 of the material, so unless you have 3 bars to experiment with, thats not such a good option.

Melting the count consort, on the other hand, might leave you with a more reasonable count consort next time. You have to kill the count as well though.

"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 11:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Skanky:
<STRONG>Melting the count consort, on the other hand, might leave you with a more reasonable count consort next time. You have to kill the count as well though.</STRONG>

Wait, what happens if there's a count with no consort? Do you receive the lovely gift of one less noble?

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 05:41:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>

Wait, what happens if there's a count with no consort? Do you receive the lovely gift of one less noble?</STRONG>

IIRC, quite the opposite - you'll end up with 2 counts and 1 consort. Not something I've personally experienced, though, as I take whatever I get and don't kill nobles no matter how annoying they may be.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

langri

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 09:20:00 am »

Thanks for the advice.  I'll see what I can manage.

panoptiC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »

If your metalcrafter is any good, let him make coins. They do not mingle and stay bismuth!
Donwside is, if you're dependant on imports, melting the coins in, if the bar is required again or to sattisfy a demand.
Purchase items (picks, etc.) from traders and melt them in. A good furnace op helps a lot! I managed to sattisfy the exact same need quite easily with some coins, few purchased picks and some imported ore and bars. Fortunately my count also liked floodgates, so it was not bismuth all the time.

R

Udil Nakuthcog now commands "The Golden Rims".