Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Two issues, need help  (Read 594 times)

sssomeone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Two issues, need help
« on: December 25, 2014, 06:57:09 am »

Hey all! I recently started playing Dwarf Fortress again. I have never been the best player and I have run into two problems that I want to ask about.

Now I know dwarves don't have the brightest minds but I still see the need to protect them. However, regardless of running over the stock records to ensure there is enough and they are not forbidden and ensuring that is it actually a part of their uniform, my military is flat out refusing to equip the iron helmets the smiths have made for them. Probably has something to do with the fact they all have caps on (as well as hoods). Damn things probably don't want their head getting cold. I would be quite happy to see them change their tune when they see how cold their heads are after a goblin axe has gone through them, but I recognise that I need my dwarves well armoured to survive any oncoming battles. Can anyone help with this?

Secondly, earlier in the year we had an invasion of the undead. The military managed to deal with the situation after some stress however and right now the fortress is fairly secure. Since then several of my dwarves have come forward saying they are "Horrified after experiencing (insert sentient here) die" the same creatures that where killed in the invasion. Is this an effect of them seeing the corpses of those creatures, or something else? More importantly, can I stop these negative thoughts, one of my mechanics admits to feeling quite stressed about the whole affair and I don't want to see her degrade any further.

Please help

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
Re: Two issues, need help
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 07:30:34 am »

There's an option in military to put uniforms over regular clothing. press m, n (uniforms) and then r.

Dwarves are horrified to see sentients die, which doesn't make much sense in this context since they are zombies (aka nonsentient). And more likely why would a dwarf be horrified to see some random undead die ? this new emotion update needs additional fixes.

Just get rid of the zombie corpses... dump there somewhere away from your dwarves's sight, atom-smash them, put them into magma...

The thought will stay but no more new thoughts will be generated.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 09:49:35 am »

If you are worried, try overwhelming the stressed dwarves with happy thoughts.  Giving them all high-quality engraved rooms with decorated furniture should help.  Perhaps you can set up a mist generator in the dining room as well.  Happy thoughts aren't as strong as negative thoughts, however the point is to keep the negative thoughts from recurring as you drown out the rest in a flood of pleasant thoughts.  Watch the stressed dwarves carefully, if they do nothing but "attend meeting" with your mayor/expedition leader over and over and over again they are on the verge of snapping.  Once or twice is fine, but if they are trying to spend half their time "attending meeting" then expect a tantrum. 

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 12:20:12 pm »

Dwarves are horrified to see sentients die, which doesn't make much sense in this context since they are zombies (aka nonsentient). And more likely why would a dwarf be horrified to see some random undead die ? this new emotion update needs additional fixes.

I wonder if you can abate this affect by adding INTELLIGENT or perhaps CAN_LEARN to the list of tags zombification removes...
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."