Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engrave/Embroider faction insigna?  (Read 860 times)

Darthania

• Bay Watcher
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • View Profile
Engrave/Embroider faction insigna?
« on: January 02, 2015, 08:52:53 am »

Would it be possible to access the icon of your civilization to use in a reaction, so you could make a banner, or embroider it on all your cloaks for instance?
Nanos gigantium humeris insidentes.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
Re: Engrave/Embroider faction insigna?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 08:57:59 am »

I doubt so. Images and the like are all randomly chosen, though there may be some fancy DFHack magic to circumvent this.
I do stuff, I guess

Darthania

• Bay Watcher
  • Standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 10:43:20 am »

Well it's used for engraving definitely, does anyone know how this works or is it deep in the code?
Nanos gigantium humeris insidentes.

UnicodingUnicorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent at Incompetency.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 09:18:57 pm »

When a dwarf chooses to engrave something, the object is selected from a list including stuff like historical events, shapes and symbols depending on stuff like skill levels and the like. Unfortunately, the selection thing is hardcoded, though you can fudge it with engraver skill levels and the like (higher skill levels prefer events I think), there isn't much else you can do about it.
I do stuff, I guess

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 07:30:10 am »

I wonder if you could modify the list to be only that one choice, start the game up and have them "decorate goods with leather/thread/shell ect...". Each time it went to the list, it would pick the only choice.  Once you're finished, put the other list items back into the list to get the range of choices from before.  (Maybe a switch between different .txt files, where the original is just moved out of the folder and another with the same name put in its place having just that one choice.  Easily enough placed back by deleting the single-choice file and moving the original one back into the folder again.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2015, 01:51:16 pm »

I wonder if you can also modify a tile to display a different engraving (without compromising the value too much (quality modifier?))? I mean, we can already somewhat take care of it when changing/adding walls and such using other DFHack tools (like my obsidian monolith for buggy items that crash the game when they go missing (damned keas)).

Heck, the UI can even work somewhat like the dictionary interface when naming a fort, or access something akin to Legends Mode to find an event.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 01:55:27 pm by Itnetlolor »