Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The end times are upon us!  (Read 2060 times)

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
The end times are upon us!
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:28:48 am »

I had just finished trading with the humans when a forgotten beast showed up in the first cavern. Quadraped of ice with poisonous gas. No problem, we can handle this.
Then about two minutes later (no more than a few days in game) a second FB shows up in the third cavern. A giant eyeless tick with a poisonous bite. Multiple FBs? That's a bit odd, but sure, we can take this guy too.

Dispatch the militia. Pathing problems prevent them from reaching the tick before a group of crundles rip it apart. Kill stealing bastards.  >:(
The ice FB meanwhile has decided it's perfectly content chilling at the bottom of a cavern lake where no one can reach it.
Then a third FB arrives. It's a blob of snow in the second caverns. Is there an FB convention I wasn't informed of? It can't have been more than a week or two since the first one showed up at this point.

The snow FB is quickly one shotted before it can make a nuisance of itself. At the same time I've managed to lure the ice FB over to the shore where my troops can reach it. It quickly drags a marksdwarf into the water and kills him but then gets caught up in a tussle with a Swordmaster who appears to be standing on the branches of a tree growing in the water and fighting the FB beneath him.

Then the universe completely lost it's shit.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The game shifted my view up a bunch of levels to let me know my possessed fisherdwarf had begun his construction but was also still showing the fight in the caverns.

After single-handedly shattering every part of it's body the swordmaster bites the FB and kills it.
Then I was left with this nonsense.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The cavern lake square where the FB died is now water laced with water, smeared with water, splattered with water and coated with water.

So is this normal? I've never seen multiple FBs within such a short time frame before.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The end times are upon us!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:35:57 am »

It is a display glitch I saw before, not sure if it was a twbt problem or vanilla.
As for your triple FB... I only saw 2 fighting each other. Maybe there were more, but I usually sealed the cavern so I didn't really pay attention to them.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Pirate Santa

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:10:42 am »

Yeah I've had two FBs sealed in the caverns killing each other before, but there was always a decent amount of time between each of their arrival, these three showed up all within 2 weeks.
Welcome to Dwarf Fortress. Where peaceful death of old age is something nobody sees coming.
it turns out Dog Bone Doctors aren't very good at doctoring.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 09:31:15 am »

One time I had three webber FBs show up in the third cavern, fight to the death, then the last one got killed by a fucking jabberer.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2015, 12:17:58 pm »

I've had a half dozen FBs wandering about the caverns on many occasions. In my current fort, I cleared three out of the top caverns using a spike hall, and I still have three more out there, refusing to path into my fort.

The display craziness is new to me, though.

TinFoilTopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »

One time I had three webber FBs show up in the third cavern, fight to the death, then the last one got killed by a fucking jabberer.
Someone give that jabberer a medal.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 09:44:03 pm »

I've got a massive Webbing Anaconda with external ribs roaming my first cavern layer who has so far killed every single other creature in said cavern (including 5-6 other FBs) with a single bite to the head.  I'd love to capture it and send it against hell.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 02:45:51 pm »

I don't know about the glitch, but the water laced with water is perfectly normal: the blood and body parts of the ice and snow f.b. turned into water, but it is their water so the game tracks it when it mixes with any old cavern water.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 04:03:46 am »

I have had numerous FB deathmatches in the caverns. Fiery ones setting all the water-rooted trees on fire and causing endless columns of steam. A poisonous one smearing an entire level with its own (poisonous) blood and guts after being cut open by an insane naked werebeast dwarf I had walled into the caverns. A webby one devouring endless dwarf weavers, then eventually dying in its own web, slain by a pair of nasty mammalian FBs who then proceeded to destroy that fortress from the underground up. A pair of flying ones totally killing my fps with a multilevel dogfight scenario, which was later ended by another fiery forgotten beast who killed them both, and a nest of plump helmet men, before self-immolating. A pair of multilegged FBs who ripped each others legs off like a pair of mating spiders.... It gets to the point where if I have one FB, I start looking for where the others will arrive.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:33:56 pm »

I just caught an FB. When the next one comes, I'll release it and whichever one wins I will capture. Or maybe I'll just capture both and use them against hell.