Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin king of the dwarves?  (Read 1575 times)

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
Goblin king of the dwarves?
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:10:36 pm »

Uh, Hi. I'm new to the forums so... Hello.

Anyways. I just started a new fort on a new world, and decided to visit the civilization info page and discovered this:

Waaaaaaaaaat?

I thought this only happened in fables and tales!

Can someone explain?

DrTaco

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_RATIONAL_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin king of the dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:19:52 pm »

Your civ somehow captured him (Losing wars and inherent subjugation most likely), and he rose to the top. OR, you are the only one who can see the truth; it is your duty to destroy this menace, no matter how many of these corrupted dwarves get in your way.
"I'm just so FUCKIN' HAPPY!"
*throws chair across the room*

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:26:07 pm »

Maybe he's a good goblin that makes good wood craftings(better than those elven wood junks) and you dorfs really appreciate that.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:39:52 pm »

Look up said King's history in Legends. The read about Cacame Awedinade the Elven King of Dwarves for an example of how stories are written. Then have fun telling us why this Goblin deserves to be honored as a King.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:41:53 pm »

Maybe he has some super cool history like Cacame. Cacame had his wife eaten by his own people, and then joined a dwarf civ that was at war with those elves.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Legendary Emu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dig cisterns everyday
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:12:08 pm »

Oh crap. Somehow my world changed entirely and the Glad Creation no longer exists. Nooooooooooooooooo.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 05:43:32 am »

What happened to your world save?

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:38 am »

I am playing in year 6, where all positions of the Dwarven civilization are filled by Goblins.
Checked legends, last Dwarven nobles simply died of old age, and couldn't really find war notices.

Probably the civilization got taken over, but still has a lot of dwarves. (normal migrants / dwarven bodyguards)
Found it funny that the last Dwarven nobles simply went to dust without any fight.
I am at war with the Goblins themselves

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 09:03:17 am »

I am playing in year 6, where all positions of the Dwarven civilization are filled by Goblins.
Checked legends, last Dwarven nobles simply died of old age, and couldn't really find war notices.

Probably the civilization got taken over, but still has a lot of dwarves. (normal migrants / dwarven bodyguards)
Found it funny that the last Dwarven nobles simply went to dust without any fight.
I am at war with the Goblins themselves

Check the history of that particular Goblin King.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:21:33 pm »

That goblin has a dwarven name, he is a lifetime member of your civilization, so his parents were probably also members.  In all likelyhood, your civ captured a goblin site in worldgen, and this particular green-skinned immortal lived a fairly normal life and just happened to obtain the crown after the passing of the previous ruler.  An interesting tale, and one that is certainly worth investigating.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:53:58 pm »

My current world has a couple of civilizations with 200+ goblins in them each.  I checked through the goblin histories, and apparently entire generations of goblins have existed in the civilization since a handful were captured in a couple past wars.  As others have said, different races can be assimilated when sites become "conquered" (as opposed to destroyed) by another race/civ.  Once assimilated, the new race doesn't discriminate and it becomes possible for the once conquered tribe to rise in the ranks.  I've seen dwarven mayors of human towns as well. 

However, I don't think you can get other races as standard migrants- those might be hard coded to only be dwarves.  However, their is only one king.  When you get promoted to the Mountainhome, he'll come regardless of race.  It's also possible to have your king/queen be a vampire.  It's.... recommended you immediately seal him inside his throne room.  Or drop him in lava/forgotten beast pit. 

Hilariously, this used to work for animal men too.  It was much more rare, but animal-men could be tamed by the elves and released into your fort.  They wouldn't actually do any work, but they would hang around your dining room eating (meat only) and raising their social skills.  Like children, this made them prime candidates for mayorship.  I don't remember if you could select them for promotion to baron though.  Either way.... Mayor Tony the Tiger(man) says: "This fort is GRRRRRRRRREAT!" XD Not sure if this could happen in generated history though, and it was sadly fixed before you could retire a fortress.  Otherwise you could get a tigerman mayor then retire the fortress, saving him as a historical figure.