Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vengeful....  (Read 1110 times)

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Vengeful....
« on: December 24, 2014, 12:35:01 pm »

To be more specific, I'm referring to that lovely little thought, "Urist feels vengeance when joining an existing conflict recently". 

My most recent endeavor has been an overly complicated device that pits trapped merchants into my were-infected dwarf's lair. The first batch of merchants that I tested it with was with the dwarven caravan merchants ie. from my own civ. Despite several flaws in the design, my weremonitor dwarf had managed to kill a couple of merchants and guards by the first full moon.

Here's where it gets odd; I noticed that my dwarves were having the above 'vengeful from recent conflict thoughts'. Almost ALL of them had it: children, soldiers, burrowed citizens. None of them had even seen the carnage happening (let alone take part in it), apart from a single woodcutter who was in charge of operating the device. It also seems to be continuous to a certain extent, although this may be because of a berserk horse killing about 5 of the other merchants (and various animals).

So aside from my fort members suffering the moral quandary of dwarven genocide, is there any other logical explanation regarding this phenomena?

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful....
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2014, 03:05:48 pm »

It probably isn't totally intended behaviour.

The way I rationalize it: Your dwarves are a mostly tightknit community who depend on each other for survival. In times of crisis it really is a fortress-wide conflict. If Urist McMason gets his toenails bitten off by a troglodyte while fetching gneiss, their fortress-mates are going to be pissed and want some retributive justice. Even if not everyone is there. McMason gets bit, Dadok McHauler screams murder, suddenly half the fort has heard of the toenail destruction. No one knows if there are more and is hoping the militia makes quick work of the problem. Every conflict is a fortress conflict in your little square of the world.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful....
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2014, 10:34:21 pm »

Yeah, but these are dwarven merchants from my own civ, and not members of my own fort.  I suppose logically it makes sense - guilt from genocide and all that, but mechanically, I'm curious to know how the conflict mechanics work.