Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Old way to keep dwarves from walling themselves in no longer works, solution?  (Read 1086 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The old way to stop a dwarf from standing in the wrong spot while conctructing something was to designate a wall construction where you didn't want them to be, and then suspend that order. Turns out that this no longer works, so now I'm not sure how to keep dwarves from doing that.

Additionally it also means that dwarves will now stand in eachothers way while building lengths of wall.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile

....Your sigtext is downright distracting there.

Where was I? Oh. Oh. I see.

My method for that is to build a door in the wall, then forbid the door, then wall over the door later, when the wall is finished. Sort of a final escape hatch. It does make a sort of bump in the wall though, and if you want it perfect, that is an issue.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

hmmm.  if thats true Im sure a new way will be discovered.

I would suggest either tearing down the wall if its wrong or suspending the job of they are determined to screw up.  maybe having the blocks on the tile will help them be efficient little buggers
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll probably just have to go with the door option for now then.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Dwarves build from the side of the wall that the material came from, iirc.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The "old way" was already defunct in .34.11. Of course, in that version, dwarfs would actually drag the building material around until they were building from the "inside". This behaviour was re-broken in .40.x (to get rid of the "trying to build on their own feet" bug, i think).
I guess we just have to watch our builder minions a bit closer and draw bulk building materials from fort-internal stocks instead of using whatever's nearby.