Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to manage priorities in digging  (Read 2071 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to manage priorities in digging
« on: December 21, 2014, 10:52:20 am »

Do you ever use high priority in digging?
I tried to, and I became stuck when my exploring staircase went inside a cave tree. I set up a different path, but my miners didn't want to cooperate until I tried to remove the digging assignation inside the tree. They started instantly towards the digging location...
Now I think I'll keep the standard 4
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to manage priorities in digging
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 11:00:48 am »

Everything has worked perfectly fine for me. Miners dig out lower priority designations before higher priority designations, and its made setting up a fortress much easier for me. I can now set all gem veins to automatically designate and lay out my entire fortress right away, using priorities to ensure that I have space to set up an initial fort before they charge off and start digging out the bedroom complexes.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 11:03:34 am »

Odd, I have not yet run into any problems using 1-7 priorities. I used all seven in my recent fort and it was glorious to leave the miners to do their work while I set up other stuff. Made starting out way easier since I didn't have to check up on them to see if such and such hallway had been finished so I could connect the room digging designations.

I've even had multiple level 1 priority digging designations, some of them cut off until another section was finished, so I'm not sure why your dwarves didn't just move onto something they could path to. Maybe it had to do with their path suddenly being cut off, and the new logic wasn't smart enough to drop the job. Where as in my case, the designations started off unreachable, so they never picked up the job until I connected it to a pathable hallway.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 02:24:58 pm »

Finally, I can command my dwarves to dig up a 7x7x7 cube in a single pause without them dying in cave-ins!
._.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »

Finally, I can command my dwarves to dig up a 7x7x7 cube in a single pause without them dying in cave-ins!

How do you do that? I haven't messed with these priorities yet.

Taffer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 04:03:17 pm »

How do you do that? I haven't messed with these priorities yet.

Set the top layer as priority 1, the second layer as priority 2, etc. The width and height doesn't matter - this will work well with ditches, for example - but the maximum z-level height will be 7, as there are 7 priorities.