Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: demand, make large gems ?  (Read 5821 times)

cardiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
demand, make large gems ?
« on: October 09, 2006, 11:36:00 am »

I must be missing something. how do I make large gems?

-are the ordinary gems I can cut or do I need another building to "combine?" gems?

Abyssal Squid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: demand, make large gems ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:49:00 am »

Jewelers will occasionally become "inspired" when cutting gems and will make crafts or large gems when told to cut gems.  Raw glass counts as rough gems, so your best bet is to make a ton of raw glass and set your jewelers to cutting it.

cardiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 11:56:00 am »

thanks, but I'm not making glass yett so I'll just watch the noble imprison some poor craftsdwarf for not making his quota

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 01:18:00 am »

great isn't it... i just had this... and unfortunately, i've cut all the green glass i made so far already (before the demand!).. got to start making more

... incidentally... the manager is stupid.. i have 2 glass shops (to grab sand!) and 2 magma glass shop... get manager to make 30 raw green glass... what happens? he slaps them down in all the workshops... should be an option to put it in the magma ones only!

just noticed that the manager also put collect sand in the magma shops too... grrh

[ November 30, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]

Angela Christine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 01:43:00 am »

The manager is useful, but he's not perfect.  For some things you are better off doing it manually.  

I leave the gather sand job left on repeat in the regular glass shop.  If I don't have anything specific I want made, I leave make raw green glass on repeat in the magma shops.  They run on their own pretty well.  Occasionally the orders will get cancelled if you run out of bags to collect sand or run out of sand, so you have to check them a couple times a year, but that's easy.  It works better than trying to get the manager to organize glass.

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 05:42:00 am »

Does it work if you make 10 gather sand on repeat in the non-magma shop, so the manager wouldnt be able to put more glass jobs in there?

GrimmSweeper

• Bay Watcher
  • Tome of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 10:16:00 am »

No, because eventually you will run out of free bags and the jobs will start to cancel. If you don't want to use the glass shop, give it 10 jobs and suspend them all. That way all Managerial orders will be sent to the ones that are free.

segmose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2006, 01:11:00 pm »

Good point, tho i have a bag on repeat in my clothing shop along with some cloths.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 02:11:00 pm »

but do you have enough haulers? (assuming you do have a pile that collects bags)

i don't have enough haulers at the moment (just made a lot of newcomers to fortress guards rather than haulers) so i tend to have bags everywhere but the proper piles... which leads to job cancellations... seeing as sand competes with dye for bags! (not to mention seeds!)

i could theoretically solve the normal workshop problem by assigning item haulers only to those shops but it's possible for the job list to be filled with "non-doable" jobs from time to time (when bags run out)

all in all.. it would be useful to not only assign worker to shop, but be able to toggle jobs on/off in the shops too.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2006, 03:22:00 pm »

You could remove sand bag permissions from all stockpiles, then nobody would try to haul them right?  I never have enough empty bags... must butcher more puppies.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »

thing is... i have 4 piles, 2 bags 2 sandbags.. split into 2 areas of 1 each. so i can get haulers to haul filled sandbags from 1 side (near river) to the magma workshop and then haul the empty bags back.. whilst the workers are staying put (wishful thinking)

it would work, if i have more haulers (to move them from the workshops into the nearby piles.. then to the proper piles).

=====
anyway... i've just had a flood... guess what happened? flood washes away bags (i presume)... so "clothes I" and "weave I" are going ape shit (don't know if it's the same bag.. probably not)

bah... the weavers and bag makers are churning masterpieces like no tomorrow... need something to stop them from being used...

========
did i mention one of them is a mother? both of them are legendary and the poor fortress guard is getting the crap beaten out of him? (why are they chaining "animals"??)

[ November 30, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]