Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: biomes and prospects  (Read 922 times)

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
biomes and prospects
« on: December 23, 2014, 02:45:12 pm »

I've been trying to understand what the connection is between the ores and gems present in an embark and the biomes in that embark.  I can't tell if there is a causation from the biome type (e.g. Temperate Broadleaf Forest, Mountain, etc.) and what's present.  I also can't tell if the Surroundings (e.g. Terrifying, Mirthful, etc.) make a difference.

I did just randomly pick an embark of entirely Terrifying Broadleaf Forest and prospect-all indicates that there are probably 578 DIAMOND_FY in the site.  That's a pretty astonishing amount!

Is there science around this?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
Re: biomes and prospects
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 02:50:11 pm »

I'm pretty sure biome and minerals are unrelated, otherwise the whole 'shallow metals' 'flux stone' etcetera list wouldn't be needed on embark.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 03:45:04 pm »

minerals are related to the type of stone layer  Its very rare for a biome to be created without a sedimentary layer (maybe around volcanoes?).  Metamorphic will be under that.  Igneous intrusive/extrusive will obviously be near volcanoes, but exist elsewhere.  Certain ores (like gold and platinum) are far more common in some layers than others... like in both igneous layers.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »

I've been trying to understand what the connection is between the ores and gems present in an embark and the biomes in that embark.  I can't tell if there is a causation from the biome type (e.g. Temperate Broadleaf Forest, Mountain, etc.) and what's present.  I also can't tell if the Surroundings (e.g. Terrifying, Mirthful, etc.) make a difference.

Yes. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136999.0

Once the game knows what type of layer stone is present (sedimentary, metamorphic, igneous, extrusive) then it chooses a material for that layer, and chooses ores/gems from the subset of ores/gems that can be found in that layer material.

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 11:55:40 pm »

Yes. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136999.0

Once the game knows what type of layer stone is present (sedimentary, metamorphic, igneous, extrusive) then it chooses a material for that layer, and chooses ores/gems from the subset of ores/gems that can be found in that layer material.

Thank you, sir!

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 10:03:05 am »

Biomes and minerals aren't related at all, no.

However, embarking on or close to a volcano will mean most or all of your embark will be igneous extrusive stone. That is, volcanic rocks only, tons of silver/gold/copper/lead, a bit of iron and that is pretty much all. You may get deep marble but don't count on it.

Sedimentary layers are harder to get. Having flux stone on your map means either your map has sedimentary layers (always the top layers, generally no more than 6 z-levels) or/and a deep metamorphic layer with marble.

But really the prospector should have a stone type option. I mean how can the dwarves detect the presence of flux stone near the magma sea but not immediately determine the surface type of rock ?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 10:07:52 am by Naryar »