Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Now I know why squad members should use same weapons  (Read 969 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Now I know why squad members should use same weapons
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:48:30 am »

A dabbling axedorf led axe demostration. A proficient swordsdorf watched the demostration.
A competent speardorf led spear demostration. An adequate hammerdorf watched the demostration.
A novice macedorf teached said competent speardorf how to use a mace.

Hey, Urists, are you kidding me? :o
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now I know why squad members should use same weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 10:59:31 am »

Weapon demonstrations are _only_ given to dwarfs who already have skill in that weapon. You contaminated your skill reservoir by letting dwarfs pick up and try out various weapons before they settled on one type. I generally pick dwarfs who immigrate with weapon skills and make sure their skilled weapon is already available when they get drafted (or specify the desired weapon type in the uniform). A novice axedwarf will _not_ give an axe demonstration to a swordsdwarf who has a proper zero axe skill (i.e. not listed at all, not even "dabbling").

I always use mixed-weapons squads and _never_ have cross-training problems. Never.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 11:14:29 am »

No, actually I checked with therapist first. So I picked only those who had at least novice weapon skills. Except the militia commander, I assigned him an axe but he was a skilled wrestler before.

The speardorf was a spear-axe hybrid, he didn't have any other weapon exp. But now he has 15 points on mace and 191 points on sword. The hammerdorf didn't have any spear exp, now he got 135 points.

By the way, they already chose their favorite weapons.

Now I regroup the squads.

a)
axe
spear (since he had higher axe skills than the other one)

b)
hammer

c)
mace
mace
mace

d)
crossbow
crossbow

I always use mixed-weapons squads and _never_ have cross-training problems. Never.

Before I always assigned them weapons. This time I used individual choice.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 11:18:04 am by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

G3Kappa

• Bay Watcher
  • You lick the Badger Boar tongue.
    • View Profile
    • Fieropa
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 11:39:19 am »

I've always made small squads (5 dwarfs) each using different weapons (as in, a squad only for speardwarves, one only for axedwarves...), both for the sake of variety and the usefulness of micro-management.
It's easier to handle that way, for me, and also strategically useful since I can build multiple barracks in locations where I expect trouble to start brewing, effectively always having someone ready to defend while the others start showing up.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 11:47:30 am »

Maybe it has something to do with the barrack setting?

I let all squads share the same barrack.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 05:11:28 pm »

The best way to learn something, is to teach it.

Me, I still crack up if there's ever biting classes. It's just the mental image...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 06:26:03 pm »

Are you giving those soldiers extra weapons because you think they'll get them stuck or just because they won't let go of their old weapons?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 07:13:50 pm »

Are you giving those soldiers extra weapons because you think they'll get them stuck or just because they won't let go of their old weapons?

No. I double checked they didn't have a weapon before they picked their own. I didn't assign them weapons until I produced all their favorite types (just in case they all picked up those obsidian swords).  I confirmed that in Dwarf Therapist before changing the settings.