Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Put pottery on moodable skills list.  (Read 750 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Put pottery on moodable skills list.
« on: December 20, 2014, 04:33:31 pm »

I got a great potter in a migration wave, and started him on making porcelain crafts. Then, after he'd hit legendary, he had a strange mood. This is grea- why's he going to the craftdwarf shop?

This was very odd to me how a crafting skill isn't on the moodable skills list, whereas glass maker, mechanic, and bowyer are.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Put pottery on moodable skills list.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 05:08:00 pm »

Clay is a bit uncommon compared to the rest, I think. Still, I support this suggestion.

Why do you need potter if you have no clay to begin with?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 09:47:50 am »

Hmmm it would be a novelty for sure.  Clay products are still fairly limited in scope-blocks, pots, jugs, statues, and hives I think.  Artifact statues are always nice- they go wonderfully in dining rooms or noble rooms, however we can't actually place pots or jugs.  Having indestructable pots and jugs aren't that great either.  It would only serve to "fluff" your created wealth. 

So an artifact Porcelain statue decorated with diamonds and spikes of platinum should have a value through the roof and boost small dining halls to legendary (or get your king to STFU about how his dining rooms isn't as good as the Duke's), however it could just as easily be a porcelain JUG.  *sigh*  If anything, I don't see why clay can't be used to make tables or cabinets.  Our dwarves can build entire towers out of porcelain (blocks) and heavy statues many times the size of themselves, but they don't consider clay worthy of making tables and chairs out of? Earthenware has a value of 3 (equal to obsidian/triple normal stone) and stoneware has a value of 4.  Porcelain is at 10.  This is similar to the spread of glass production (green/clear/crystal 2/5/10).  Why we can make mid-value furniture out of GLASS but not clay is beyond me.  A full suit of tin-glazed porcelain rooms should make any lower noble shit kittens.  With good decorations should be able to easily appease higher nobles too. 

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 07:57:46 pm »

Pottery should be moodable. Clay may be rare, but that just adds to the !!fun!!.
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.