Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lever Linking and pulling and broker  (Read 760 times)

ratheden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Lever Linking and pulling and broker
« on: December 17, 2014, 10:44:18 am »

Greetings I am having an issue with levers, I have created 2, one to a drawbrigde and one to a cage.

The lever and cage worked perfectly, once I learned how to pull the lever, however the draw bridge lever, though connected (deconstructed and rebuilt/attached) does not come up with a pull option when I hit q over the lever.

What might I be doing wrong?

edit,
I am also having an issue with the broker, i have set a burrow on top of the the trade depot, she has no job, is at the depot, but does not engage the depot.

Any help i would be grateful for, thanks.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 11:47:28 am by ratheden »

Kraegan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lever Linking and pulling and broker
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 02:03:55 pm »

well I can think of a few possible reasons.

For the bridge issue:

Check to ensure that the mechanism you want to use is available and that dwarves can path to it.  I have had the linking job cancelled because the mechanism I chose was not reachable (in my case it fell down a cistern).  The dwarf cancelled the job but I didn't notice it right away. 

Should be able to hit 'a' and see the announcment of the job cancellation. 

You can also hit try to link it to the bridge again.  If the lever is already linked to the bridge the bridge will not be an option in the list of objects you can link.

For the the trade depot:

Did you hit (q)-(r) to Request a trader at the depot?  Have you tried allowing anyone to trade and does that work?

ratheden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 03:12:15 pm »

thanks for the reply, i did indeed make a path to the switch, and a second switch cannot link to the bridge.

For the broker, i did indeed hit q-r, and it said broker only trades.  the first season she was the broker, i lost the caravan. For the second season, i added a burrow, and canceled all her jobs, but she just stood there jobless, though physically at the depot.

i have now rebuilt the lever-door 4 times and the depot 3. and reassigned the burrow twice.

ratheden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 05:20:22 pm »

For levers does distance to the target matter?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:52:34 pm »

I don't know much about burrows (not my field) but I was once informed that some jobs can't be done in burrows. Perhaps brokering is one of them. Free her, and let her approach the trade depot naturally. Or, alternatively, allow any dwarf to broker, then wait for someone else to go do it. Some brokers just never do their job, due to their work ethic or ideals.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

ratheden

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 07:40:30 pm »

Quote from: Thisfox  Some brokers just never do their job, due to their work ethic or ideals.
[/quote

Very good to know. I have done what you suggested, but she just wanders off.

Time for a new broker.  Now if i can only figure out why my levers do not work

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 05:17:33 am »

Your lever issue seems odd, since my experience is that you can always pull a lever, regardless of whether it's connected to anything (well, blocking access to it will block the actual pulling, but the job is still created). You can check whether a lever has been connected to anything by using 't' on it. If there are two mechanisms in it rather than one, it is (or at least has been) connected to something. Another issue with drawbridges is that they can be constructed to either be raised or withdrawn, and it's not possible to see what it was after construction has been ordered, so you might have accidentally constructed the wrong kind. A third bridge issue is that a single tile bridge looks the same graphically whether raised or lowered, although it still works.

The way I get my broker to the trade depot is to disable all other kinds of jobs when requesting the presence in the depot, which I tend to do while the last hauling jobs for the trade depot have been assigned. It still tends to take some time, however, since any ordering of a time critical job seems to create an intense interest in harvesting, drinking, eating, and sleeping. When the bugger goes on vacation I just give up and let anyone trade.