Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Rise of The Rat-King: Risus Fantasy Adventure (OOC and Planning)  (Read 833 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Rise of The Rat-King: Risus Fantasy Adventure (OOC and Planning)
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:31:26 am »

So for me, school has ended for the year and as a result, I have a lot of time on my hand. Because of this surplus of time I have decided that I would like to give GMing a Risus game again. The game will use the free roleplaying system Risus and be set in a fantasy world. I do have a problem however, I am unsure as to how I should run the game. By that I mean that I am unsure as to whether I should run the game via Play by Post (on Bay12), IRC or Skype/Roll20. And so I would like to ask you, the people of Bay12, two questions. These questions are: Are you interested in playing a Risus game run by me? and, Do you think that the game would be better played via Play by Post, IRC or Skype/Roll20?

People who are interested:

My Name Is Immaterial
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 05:00:13 am by Gamedragon »

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of The Rat-King: Risus Fantasy Adventure (OOC and Planning)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 04:33:15 am »

I'd be interested. Risus is a fun system.

You'll have an easier time getting players for a PBP game, since you can get people from various timezones. An online game is going to eventually run into people not showing up, or being late, or something along those lines.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Re: Rise of The Rat-King: Risus Fantasy Adventure (OOC and Planning)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 04:59:13 am »

Yeah, I'm aware that PBP makes it easier for people in different timezones, especially since I'm Australian. The problem with this though is that from the little roleplaying (and the many odcasts I've listened to  :P) I've done I find that a lot of the enjoyment comes out of being able to talk to the people you're playing with just as much as the actual game you're playing. But if PBP is decided upon I'll do my best to make it as close to an actual gathering of people as I can. I think that I could do this by scrapping the strict(?) roleplaying that a lot of PBP games use and instead try and foster a more casual and laid-back approach by making people say things like:

Uh... I nod at the shopkeeper and ask him how much the shirt is worth. Can I roll Appraise here to see if he's telling the truth?

instead of:

Stacy nods at the shopkeeper and says, "How much is the shirt worth." ((OOC: Can I roll Appraise?))

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts about this?