Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let's Play Nethack  (Read 1427 times)

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
Let's Play Nethack
« on: January 31, 2015, 04:50:25 am »

Hi guys,

Nethack has got to be one of my favourite games ever. It was my first roguelike and is in many ways is what led me to Dwarf Fortress. I figured that I might as well run a Let's Play of playing it. At the moment I can't actually post images very well and so this will be all text until I can add some pictures.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spoiler: List of Deaths (click to show/hide)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I create my character a female, elven Ranger named Gilrael. I've never actually won the game before but my best runs have always been with either an elven Ranger or Wizard. Because of this I decide that my best chance to actually do well comes from using a build like this.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 07:38:42 pm by Gamedragon »

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Nethack
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 05:02:15 am »

After my character is created I land in a room with my little dog, Sirius. The first thing I do is check my inventory, I have; a +1 elven bow, a +1 elven dagger, 51 poisoned +2 elven arrows, 35 +0 elven arrows, an uncursed +2 elven cloak and 5 lembas wafers. Once I've checked my inventory I turn my attention to the rest of the room. I appear to be in a rectangular room with four visible exits, the room also contains a grave and a newt.

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 05:31:48 am »

I briefly consider swapping to my bow to take down the newt but decide against it as it may waste valuable ammo. Instead I decide to let Sirius get a little XP and wander off to examine the Grave while he kills the newt. The Grave has the most interesting engraving, it says, "Note -- There are NO valuable items in this grave.". I find that slightly suspicious and decide to return here when I find a shovel or other digging implement.

I explore the rest of the level and find a few things. I picked up two food rations after killing a jackal and a carrot, which should serve as food as food for a while. I also find two fountains which I may or may not decide to drink from in the hopes of gaining a wish but at the moment the chances of me doing that are slim. Having explored all of the level, except for the few locked doors which I will return to later, I decide to go downwards.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:39:31 am »

Playing at NAO or local? and f playing it NAO, under what name?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Emma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 07:35:42 pm »

Playing at NAO or local? and f playing it NAO, under what name?

I'm using local for this run but now that you've metioned it the next run might use NAO if you'd like me to.

Level 2 -
The stairs end in a small room that has three visible exits, two of them with doors. I choose to go through the bottom door and come out in a room with a Scroll labeled DAIYEN FOOELS and a grave describing the life of Og. Instead of going down the stairs the instant I see them I instead choose to explore the level quickly finding a locked chest, a statue of a newt and another fountain. Lucky me, the chest contains an orange, a slime mold and a bronze spellbook. The spellbook turns out to be a spellbook of healing. I explore the rest of the level and find a shop.

Entering the shop, I quickly identify an item as a small mimic. I get back into the courtyard and start fighting the mimic. Unfortunately I die to it while confused after eating a rotten food ration.

So, should the next game be on NAO?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:38:33 pm »

sure, i would love to watch
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability