Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Way to ensure sieges?  (Read 3880 times)

Herpaderpalerp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Way to ensure sieges?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »

A proper siege has a population requirement of 80.
Also, do you trade with the caravans still?

Whilst i doubt it, it may be that the dark fortress you've embarked next to has insufficient goblins to send an attack.

Personally, i always use a very small embark, this limits things a great deal and generally is quite successful in getting attacked.

Yes, my last fort traded with 3 caravans every year and had a created value of 2.9 million. Its population was 156 and we were upgraded to Duchy status.

Quote from: Legendary Emu
Make sure you smooth everything.

Absolutely everything.

No one is going to besiege you if they can't make a big slip and slide down the halls.

All walls were smoothed in my fortress. On top of that, most of the walls were engraved masterpieces.

It's strange, I was at war with 2 Elf civs this time, if I remember correctly. Elves seem extremely reluctant to step near my fort. Not that I really blame them... all this time waiting had given me 25 legendary soldiers.

Ysyua

• Bay Watcher
  • .- ... - .-. ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 03:35:12 pm »

I thought I wasn't going to get any. But after 4 years and nearly 3 million urists of wealth, I started getting them. I embarked next to two goblin civs I was at war with that both had populations of more than 6,000 (according to worldviewer).

I also jack up the allowed population and number of civs in my world gen. And made goblins able to wield a wider variety of weapons. Sieges will come, requires far more patience this time around though.
Quote from: Ysyua
I had a trog give birth while scaling a wall. Just before one of my crossdorfs loosed a bolt at her. The trog baby drowned.
They said the walls were impregnable. You didn't have to prove me wrong by giving birth on them.

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2014, 07:29:22 am »

I embarked reasonably close to a necro tower and managed to get a siege before the first caravan showed up. But it was just one night creature and he left right away. I kind of feel like that zombie was lost, saw my fort, and then realized it wasn't the correct spot after all. I got the siege message, but it lasted shorter than it took for me to read it. Not sure if that helps to understand what the problem, still, is.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2014, 08:07:25 am »

Is there an easy way to tell which dark fortress's are alive & which dead? Some times I'll put the embark right next to a goblin fort & it won't show goblin's as neighbours, but this doesn't really work when it's a dead goblin fort with a couple of live goblin civs with-in reach on the world map.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2014, 09:05:47 am »

And made goblins able to wield a wider variety of weapons.
Goblins already have access to every weapon in the game. Except blowguns. So, what did I out do then?
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

Have you guys seen the "Nobody freaking attacks me anymore in..." thread? It's pretty similar to this. Basically, the concensus was that 0.40.23 fixed the "armies camp forever" bug, which should allow more frequent attacks. Are you all using 0.40.23? I would be interested to hear, before I update myself.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 01:56:33 pm »

Just embark near a necromancer tower if you want sieges. Without fail, roughly once a year, a siege force of fully armed and armored zombies will show up. It's a tad hardcore.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 06:12:02 pm »

Yeah, I'm using 0.40.23.  No change.  I have 96 dwarves (I'm a barony), and a load of created wealth.  I finished off one giant that showed up a short while ago, but that required one shot from my legendary marksdwarf.  I've got a hardcore militia trained (5 legendary, 6 elite).  They just need something to fight.
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 07:05:01 pm »

I've heard things to the effect of that if there's a nearby, juicier target, such as a human or elf settlement, they might go after that instead.  I can't vouch for it - and honestly, I'm enjoying the peaceful time to perfect my trapping techniques - but if it's any comfort, know that some elves out there might be dying in your dwarves' stead.

darokindefender

• Bay Watcher
  • I have many skills
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2014, 07:15:39 pm »

Oh well.

That will do for now.
Wait how did that even happen?

Oh ... nevermind. Apparently the one year old Kivish Ilidcatten is strong enough to take on a GCS. I don't even...

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2014, 11:53:56 pm »

Things will get much better when we can send dwarves to participate in wars, even if we can't outright order them to go attack some place for us.

But we will be getting a heck of a lot more visitors once the tavern arc goes live. It will be kind of nice, I think: not every settlement is attacked during war, some just see or feel its impact indirectly. I think that could start to happen.

Besides, with the military glitches as they are, do you really want to lose those legendary dwarves? :P

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »

Yearly sieges were always a kind of gamey thing that weren't really justified by realism anyway. It's just a pain that it's not fully implemented or understood how someone looking for combat can embark in a place more likely to experience it.
Pages: 1 [2]