Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves in modded game are idling around  (Read 816 times)

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
Dwarves in modded game are idling around
« on: December 08, 2014, 07:31:35 pm »

Hi, Dwarf Community!

My name is The Dorfmeister and I have a big problem with the dwarves in fortress mode in my own modded game and need help to resolve it: Every time I start a new fortress, everything is going well - but after 10-15 minutes of game time, my dwarves start gathering round the wagon and idling around. They stand there, staring into the air, waiting and idling, stating "No Job", even when jobs - like building of workshops, digging or somewhat else are queued. :(

They just stand there, sleep on the spot and die of thirst or get eaten by wild animals - they do not even fight back if attacked by bears!

Interestingly, I can reproduce this issue only with fortresses of "dwarven" races. (my mod makes humans playable in fortress mode, also adds halflings and dark elves, and they are working normal and without problems.)

Can it be a raw file problem? Because I started modding on an older DF version and copy-pasted the dwarven races (original dwarves, gold dwarves and duergar), from the old creature and entity raws into the new folder.  :o

Thanks for your help - The DorfMeister!

GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves in modded game are idling around
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 08:10:37 pm »

Most likely they don't have GAIT tokens. Paste the following into the old raws, if they lack it:

Code: [Select]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_BIPED_GAITS:900:711:521:293:1900:2900] 30 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CLIMBING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_SWIMMING_GAITS:5951:5419:4898:1463:6944:8233] 6 kph
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_CRAWLING_GAITS:2990:2257:1525:731:4300:6100] 12 kph

If that doesn't work, post the errorlog and we'll see what can be done.

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:51:01 pm »

Okay, thanks. I will try it, but why do they do their jobs for the first 10-15 minutes and then start idling when the gaits are missing? And they can move and even climb, at least in adventurer mode... :-\

EDIT: Oh, and have I to gen a new world with this changes? I like my current 1105 years history world with only a few small dwarven camps left. Gonna try to rebuild the mountain dwarf civilization if that thing with the gaits works correctly. ;-)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 08:53:06 pm by The Dorfmeister »
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 09:35:37 pm »

Hm, I missed that part. That's strange then... is there perhaps a certain stage of fortress preparation that triggers this?

The mostly likely explanation, actually, is that maybe you've made your fort inaccessible. When no-one can get to a job to begin with, there often won't be a cancellation message, annoyingly enough. Could you post a screenshot of the entrance to your fort?

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 09:56:58 pm »

Yeah, it usually begins after the first rooms are mined out and the first stockpiles are halfway filled. As soon as a worker cancels his job or gets his job cancelled, he stays with "No Job".

By the way, I have only 4 Idlers now, they are walking random across the map instead of working at their proper assigned jobs.  >:( The other 3 are hauling goods and smoothing walls as intended...

I never get this problems with humans, halflings or drow. Maybe dwarves are more stubborn and picky in the choice of their jobs or are just too lazy?  :(

I donīt know how to insert screenshots, but the entrance to my "fortress" (itīs actually a natural cave, that I planned to expand and fortify) is wide enough for my 3 really working dwarves to get through with their wheelbarrows or booze barrels, also wide enough for my cats and dogs. The fort is accessible from the outside.

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 10:33:07 pm »

Hm, very odd. You mention drow, halflings, humans; are you using Masterwork? If so you might have better luck finding an answer on that board. I'm utterly stumped.

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:48:41 pm »

It might be something to do with them going on break?
But this sounds much too long for just that...

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:12:07 am »

@Ladygolem: No, Iīm not using Masterwork. Itīs all my own modding. Just a littly try to add some of my favourite races and the feeling of D&D and other worlds to my game. :-)

(So, halflings are more like the hobbits from LOTR, quite broad and ever hungry, that enjoy loving drinking and partying all the time, there are Mumaks (LOTR Oliphaunts) and chromatic and metallic D&D-Dragons that are sentient and take over entire civs time after time for example...)

@Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum: No, they are not on break, they state clearly "NO JOB" all the time.At least the do eat and drink now and once in a few months they mobilize themselves to do ONE SINGLE JOB, before go back idling.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:31:18 am »

What are the differences between your modded dwarves and vanilla dwarves?  Sometimes the addition or removal of particular tags can cause all kinds of weirdness.

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2014, 12:42:56 pm »

My main dwarven race is mostly vanilla. I just changed their name to "Mountain Dwarf" and their hair and skin color, so they have most tan skin and brown-ish or black hair.
The other dwarf races are copies of the main race - Gold dwarves are slightly smaller and thinner than mountain dwarves, with more light skin tones and blonde or red hair, also, I used some token for GREED, as they are greedy for gold and jewels.

The Duergar are the most modded dwarven races, but unlike Mountain or Gold dwarves, they are in the same entity as the well functioning drow (underdark civ) - Red eyes, grey or black skin and silver or white hair. They like fighting and know [NOFEAR] and [NOPAIN] just like drow, but also do not get jobs properly like the mountain civ gold or mountain dwarves.

EDIT: I just checked the error logs and there are issues with the necks and throats of the dwarven races connecting properly. But they ARE decapitated well in Adventure mode... And can false connecting necks prevent creatures from getting jobs properly?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 12:49:35 pm by The Dorfmeister »

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 08:43:10 pm »

I have solved it!

The problem was indeed that not connected neck-throat thing. Now it works and my dwarves get their jobs... Now to repopulate my world with Mountain dwarves.  :P