Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fiasco Interest Check (IRC)  (Read 1076 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Fiasco Interest Check (IRC)
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:32:22 pm »

So, I was thinking of running a game of Fiasco. What's that, you ask? Well, it's a GM-less tabletop RPG that can be essentially described as "The Coen Brothers RPG". 3-5 players play a collection of people with high ambitions and extremely poor impulse control. They have needs, relationships, and objects/locations connecting each other which adds an element of the soap opera to the proceedings. They create plans to improve their station, but halfway through the game the Tilt occurs, a mechanic that could cause anything from someone suddenly developing a conscience or something priceless going up in flames. Plans are derailed, things go horribly wrong, and a crazy train is unleashed that only stops when the Aftermath table is rolled for each player to see what horrible fate is in store for them. The players are the primary source of the conflict, and not GM created villains, which is why I was interested in Fiasco.

Now, Fiasco has been run a few times on this forum before, so why do I want to add onto the pile? Well, I noticed that the previous Fiascos were based around the normal scheme for a forum game: people put in suggestions, then someone posts the results. This isn't really good for Fiasco since it's meant to be a very quick game, and also because it's based around feeling like a movie: people set up scenes and have quickfire conversations with their characters. Instead I was thinking of doing it on an IRC chat program. Don't worry, I'll make it as streamlined as possible so half of the players don't end up on another IRC entirely.

So, how does the game itself work? You can buy the RPG itself at Bullypulpit Games, but I have it already so I can check the rules if you have any questions. The game's setting varies, with packaged settings called Playsets already worked out which range from an Alaskan village to Salem in the 17th century. They're free, so go check them out. If you feel swamped with choice, it would be possible to make your own, and I am currently making one which places the players on a pirate infested series of islands similar to Far Cry 3.

I'm looking for four other people to play. Would anyone be interested?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Fiasco Interest Check (IRC)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 07:56:33 pm »

IRC? That would require it to be scheduled at an open time for me.

I'm certainly interested if we can get a couple others.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:03:00 pm »

I think I can get one more person. Speaking of scheduling, how would weekend evenings be for people? Good?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 08:09:16 pm by Fniff »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 08:10:45 pm »

You mean, tomorrow or Sunday?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:33 pm »

Yep, both would be fine, though fridays would be good as well though that'd obviously take longer. Depending on who's joining and what times they're able to play, I'd be cool with having it be on any of those three days as long as it was in GMT evening.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 08:24:11 pm »

Bump. Players?
Sig

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 08:31:52 pm »

I'll try this.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 08:32:23 pm »

If anyone's wondering how this game actually plays, Here's an example of play.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:00:40 pm »

I'm in, if you're still doing this.
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 04:11:47 pm »

Wrong year, mate.

Salsacookies

• Bay Watcher
  • PRAISE THE CHUNKS!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 04:13:48 pm »

Yeah, but he is doing another fiasco game, just not this one
Yep, the sig is here
Whoops. Well, shit. Typical salsacookies.
I don't need my cavities checked. I just went to the dentist! Ba-dum-tiss.
I am a Christian