Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding Job Priority levels and engraving  (Read 1019 times)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding Job Priority levels and engraving
« on: December 12, 2014, 12:06:46 pm »

Can we also get Skill priority levels? For instance, in the case of engraving, where you might want to have a fleet of workers for smoothing stone and skill isn't important; a smooth floor is a smooth floor is a smooth floor. But for areas you want actual engravings, higher quality engravings are better, so higher skill levels are important. Could we maybe have an option for the skill level allowed to accept the engraving job during designation? As it is, you have to disable the smoothing fleet to allow the few skilled engravers to work.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Ngosp Umbabok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Job Priority levels and engraving
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2014, 12:38:11 pm »

This is a good idea.

This way a bunch of people who don't have jobs could smooth floors while your master-engravers could handle the actual engravings without them being done by amateurs.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 10:52:36 am »

This has been suggested a lot, especially when it comes to masons because ideally you want your legendary mason to build doors, statues and so on and the rest of them to build walls, floors, ramps and so on. You can do it now with burrows but it's a lot of work. Same with carpenters.

As for engravers, usually I just have on guy smooth everything until he's legendary and then engrave everything. But if anything happens to that one guy...

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 07:05:28 pm »

As for engravers, usually I just have on guy smooth everything until he's legendary and then engrave everything. But if anything happens to that one guy...
Aye, that's my method too. I usually have 3 engravers smooth every fucking inch of my fort until they can dish out masterwork engravings, in case that one guy dies.

+1 from me.