Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Make gelding more general  (Read 1788 times)

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Make gelding more general
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:43:16 pm »

My suggestion is to just change a few words to make the gelding process be applicable to more imaginary creatures and such since most tokens in the game don't refer to a specific real life thing, and in real life gelding technically is a term specific to male horses. If we were to change the instances of the word geld to something else than it could apply to any kind of imaginary animal that you're encouraged to mod into Dwarf Fortress.
Part of this should of course be the commonly requested merging of the gelding skill into animal care since you really should not have professional gelders show up as migrants to your fort anyway. Then you could change the "he is gelded" text in the creature descriptions to "he is sterile" and the rare combat message from "it is a gelding blow" or whatever it is to just "it is a sterilizing blow". I'm not sure about changing all references to gelding to sterilization because it doesn't always sound right, but it's the best word I can really think of that's a general term for that kind of thing and I do think that gelding isn't the word that should be used.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Make gelding more general
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:43:22 pm »

Neutering would really be a better word for it, but I guess gelding sounds more genteel?  C'mon, "neutering" was family-friendly enough to use in Petz 4!  Also the reason a lot of creatures aren't geldable is that said creatures don't have their dangly bits on the outside, so neutering them would be major surgery, not unlike spaying.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Make gelding more general
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:57:19 pm »

Yeah, neuter is a good word to replace most instances of gelding with. I'm not sure if you mean gelding in real life or in Dwarf Fortress, but I know that it's outside the range of dwarf technology to safely neuter a lot of animals, but I'm saying that if you do any kind of modding with gelding then gelding no longer becomes an accurate term. Though again it technically is a term for horses so it wasn't an accurate term to begin with. Simply replacing it with neuter or sterile in a few places fixes that.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia