Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cheap artifact  (Read 1529 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Cheap artifact
« on: December 01, 2014, 09:23:41 am »

I did some test.

While the moody dorf is collecting materials, if you forbid a task item, he will gather another one. At this time, if you reclaim the item, when the dorf returns with the next item, previous one will probably become task item again.

If the message "Urist McStrangeMood has begun a mysterious construct" appears, you can't stop him from finishing the construct. But, you can still forbid all the job items, or some of the job items. He will finish the construct with whatever available, or absolutely nothing.

For example, my dorf finished a cave spider silk skirt, consumed nothing.

This is a cave spider silk skirt. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cave spider silk. It is made from cave spider silk cloth.

It has a basic value of 3720.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cheap artifact
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 09:27:13 am »

it's time to make planepacked out of nothing.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 09:29:29 am »

it's time to make planepacked out of nothing.

The basic value seems to be related to materials that are actually consumed. In this case, the product will be extremely cheap.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 09:31:51 am »

You can also use this, alongside the Planepacked burrow replica, to make even more expensive items.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Ives

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 05:13:58 pm »

Handy thing to know - weapons and furniture default to iron when you forbid the base material. Even if you don't have iron, and even if the workshop isn't a smithy. I've had a moody carpenter baron make an iron table when I've accidentally forbidden all logs via stocks menu. All other TSKed items still get used as decorations, by the way, you only need to forbid the base item.

I haven't gotten a chance to test this with bowyer moods yet, this mood can probably benefit the most from material switch.

Side note - where do dwarves get that metal from? Perhaps their bodies naturally secrete small amounts of iron, so when Urist McCraftsman tells you that he's poured his sweat and tears into an artifact, he means it literally? Perhaps moody dwarves also intuitively know alchemy? Could it be a gift from Armok himself?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:19:09 pm »

I did some test.

While the moody dorf is collecting materials, if you forbid a task item, he will gather another one. At this time, if you reclaim the item, when the dorf returns with the next item, previous one will probably become task item again.

If the message "Urist McStrangeMood has begun a mysterious construct" appears, you can't stop him from finishing the construct. But, you can still forbid all the job items, or some of the job items. He will finish the construct with whatever available, or absolutely nothing.

No. If you actually forbid everything, the dwarf works for six weeks on nothing, then goes insane. I tested it in .40.19.

This behaviour is unchanged from earlier versions:

you can forbid artefact components after the dwarf has started construction; in the case of "decoration" materials, nothing unusual will happen, you just get fewer decorations.

If you forbid the "base" material (e.g. cloth in a clothier mood) but leave some decoration materials, the game fills in the default "anorganic" material for the base - iron - and adds decorations from the remaining materials to it.

If you forbid everything (easiest when looking at moods only using a single item, which often happens in jewellery moods), the game finds no base materials and no decoration material, so fails to finish the mood. The dwarf goes irrevocably insane after six weeks.

For example, my dorf finished a cave spider silk skirt, consumed nothing.

If a cave spider silk item was made, one bolt of cave spider silk was consumed. Most likely you just overlooked the item.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:33:59 pm »

I tested in 40.13 and I'm sure I forbided all materials.
If you want the save I can upload it to dffd.

I reloaded my backup save and this time it was a silk toga (4560☼).

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 10:41:50 pm »

Handy thing to know - weapons and furniture default to iron when you forbid the base material. Even if you don't have iron, and even if the workshop isn't a smithy. I've had a moody carpenter baron make an iron table when I've accidentally forbidden all logs via stocks menu. All other TSKed items still get used as decorations, by the way, you only need to forbid the base item.

I haven't gotten a chance to test this with bowyer moods yet, this mood can probably benefit the most from material switch.

Side note - where do dwarves get that metal from? Perhaps their bodies naturally secrete small amounts of iron, so when Urist McCraftsman tells you that he's poured his sweat and tears into an artifact, he means it literally? Perhaps moody dwarves also intuitively know alchemy? Could it be a gift from Armok himself?
Iron is just the first metal listed in the raw file. I assume if you move the order around, it would be whatever else you put first.

It's also the first material listed in ANY of the raw files, starting from the top of the folder, alphabetically. I don't know if that's a coincidence or not. Can't think of any way to test it.

Although the first material listed that can be used for clothing should be adamantine, not silk, so maybe the whole theory is just bork.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.