Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How viable is a men-at-arms setup?  (Read 4923 times)

AmpsterMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How viable is a men-at-arms setup?
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2014, 11:33:16 am »

I usually have a Men-at-arms setup as well, but for different reasons. In my forts everyone becomes a member of the fort Militia and is armed with a Sword and shield, Leather Clothing, and metal head, chest, and leg items. They are put in a squad and are given a weapon and armor stand in each room; they also are asigned to a communal training room. I never assign them to train, they are allowed to do it s they please.

I then have a professional full time Military and Guard Corps made up of the better recruits in the militia. Weaker or injured men and women join the fortress guard. The true greats become apprentices under a veteran (I.E  a Squad of two training all day and night) They get their weapon and metal shields, helms, plates, chain, high boots, leggings, cloaks, and gauntlets.

After the apprentices graduate, they become veterans and are eligible for an apprentice. Masters are now eligible to become members of an elite Suad. These guys are the ones I use to fight most things.

At some point I am going to have to develop a system for Crossbows and engineers. Right now I only employ heavy infantry as my only line of defence.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2014, 01:15:37 pm »

Wait a minute... Are you trying to guard the food with traps, or guard the bomb shelter with food?
I'm trying to guard the bomb shelter with traps. Sorry, that really came out wrong.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2014, 01:21:40 pm »

Wait a minute... Are you trying to guard the food with traps, or guard the bomb shelter with food?
I'm trying to guard the bomb shelter with traps. Sorry, that really came out wrong.
Then is the military guarding the traps?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2014, 03:33:29 pm »

Then is the military guarding the traps?
And more importantly, who is guarding the booze?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2014, 12:37:01 am »

^ Hope you don't mind me sigging that :P And just to add my two-cents worth to the discussion, I plan on making a Sparta-esque Fort where I'll just prepare the basic accommodations + weapons/armor, and then set everyone to train nonstop - till a siege destroys us all.

Imagine a swarm of dwarves rising out of the ground to zerg rush you.  Armies Arc, why you no come fast enough ...

Edit: Awh, nevermind: >500 characters.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 10:27:32 pm by Bearskie »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2014, 12:54:40 am »

For general safety once I have some extra warfare metal I assign a uniform with just a weapon to anyone who isn't a woodcutter hunter or miner.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2014, 01:46:14 am »

For me I've had good experiences with inexperienced dwarves equipping weapons. Main problem would be discipline, for that people tend to strategically place corpses and other fun stuff to harden their dwarves. Beware ranged weapons though, you need armor for that.

Honestly, give a dwarf a sword and he's able to kill anything. Except undead, which you would have to smash with blunt weapons.

But if you give out metal armor, expect your dwarves to move VERY SLOWLY. Unless you force them to train their armor user skill once in awhile then their encumbrance goes down. Plus their overall agility can be trained which makes them much much faster that normal.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2014, 07:33:37 am »

For general safety once I have some extra warfare metal I assign a uniform with just a weapon to anyone who isn't a woodcutter hunter or miner.

They can handle armour just fine, and they will typically carry their weapons unless you remove that labor.  Dwarven tendencies towards agression in the new versions make men-st-arms much more viable.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 2 [3]