Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: DF License query  (Read 3867 times)

bremac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF License query
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by lumin:
<STRONG>I know Dwarf Fortress is in a category of its own, but I think that it will be bigger and better than both Nethack and ADOM.

The great thing about this project is that it is quasi Open-Source already.  Toady checks these forums for suggestions and bugs so often and so diligently that community made ideas are constantly being put into the game.  He is simply filtering out the lame content/ideas that DID get into Nethack.  If the system aint broken, don't fix it.</STRONG>

Source refers to the source code. I don't even bother registering opinions on what DF should be anymore, but I can tell you the openness of the source is absolute; You can't have 'quasi Open Source', because that's like having a quasi open closed door. The DF way is actually a rapid-deployment and feedback system, completely unrelated to the source.

BTW, nethack is/was a closed development process too, SLASH'EM is the community effort from which patches are sometimes lifted.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2006, 03:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by karnot:
<STRONG>
Any proof ?</STRONG>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slash%27EM

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »

"Shared source" is a type of quasi-open source, where the source code is released but the copyright is retained: derivative works based on it are not permitted.  Under a system like that, programmers can submit bugfixes and new features, but the owner of the code has no obligation to incorporate them.

In practice, it's probably a disaster.  You can only keep derivative works from being released through lawsuits.  Microsoft uses the shared source model for some of its works -- they can afford the truncheons.

Pages: 1 2 [3]