Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode: too slow archery?  (Read 849 times)

Mr_Oger

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Adventure mode: too slow archery?
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:34:14 pm »

I ecountered strange problem that firing from bow takes a LOT more time that attacking with weapon. I shot a guy and he just ran to me and raped me with several blows. Is it ok or just i`m doing something wrong?

LordUbik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode: too slow archery?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:53:48 pm »

Nothing wrong, the new combat system splits move/attack time, making fights a little more realistic.
In real life firing a bow is pretty slow... take the arrow from the quiver, put it in position, bend the bow, aim...  not everyone is a Legolas (filthy elf...)!

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 04:07:17 am »

Also, bows and other projectiles have had the ever living crap nerfed out of them so don't expect it to work like in the past where hitting somebody with a bolt will almost certainly cause a crippling injury. Now its the opposite. You can put three dozen crossbow bolts into a small dog and have it still not die.

Urist Tilaturist

• Bay Watcher
  • The most dwarven name possible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »

Shooting a bow took about 6-10 seconds, depending on conditions. That is a lot slower than swinging a sword.

Bolts and arrows do not have much stopping power. Many people were hit even in the eye or face by arrows and survived, though bolts hit much harder. Arrows and bolts also stayed in wounds and stopped much blood from escaping, preventing the target from bleeding to death. Small dogs should not survive 3 dozen bolts, or even 3 bolts in the long run, but a reasonable middle ground is much better than having marksdwarves that shot as hard as riflemen.

Besides, going in and smashing it with a hammer is so much more dwarven.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 05:26:02 pm by Urist Uristurister »
On the item is an image of a dwarf and an elephant. The elephant is striking down the dwarf.

For old times' sake.