Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Self-Imposed Challenges  (Read 7759 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Self-Imposed Challenges
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2014, 12:00:49 pm »

I usually flake... Nuzlockes just don't work for me because of that.

But! On one hand, I do play Pokémon with a few extra rules. I don't heal during battles and I play using the Set Battle system, so I can't switch after the opponents Pokémon faints. In addition, I only take in an equal amount of Pokémon that the Gym Leader has for that Gym. It works out alright.
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2014, 12:01:22 pm »

I usually play SWAT 4 as pacifist. Only tasers, stun grenades, the pepper ball gun, and lots of intimidating shouts. It's easier than most of the challenges on here I guess, but lots of fun. Rules are simple really, if anyone - swat, suspect, or civilian - gets wounded, the mission fails.
Playing SWAT 4 on Professional, that's the only way to win and progress to the next level. You have to do everything perfect. If you do everything else exactly the way you're supposed to you can afford to let two of your squaddies die (which is inevitable) if you haven't been wounded.

Well, I'm at the Diamond Centre level with straight 100's now. Restarted levels every time I did something wrong. Should check which difficulty I'm playing, I honestly don't know.
And I'm not going to let my squadmates get hit. Unless it's scripted.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #62 on: November 26, 2014, 12:32:36 pm »

Well, I'm at the Diamond Centre level with straight 100's now. Restarted levels every time I did something wrong. Should check which difficulty I'm playing, I honestly don't know.

And I'm not going to let my squadmates get hit. Unless it's scripted.
Probably not Professional. :P You'd notice for sure.

No, that won't ever happen.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »

Starcon 2:
Optimize your game in a way that you get all main and side quests and such done, and beat the game in time to get Fwiffo back home. Before his people put up their own slave shield, locking the poor bastard out, and keeping them safe (their main motive for enslaving themselves).

I failed to do so this pass through on my game, and made too much progress to undo the damage. Sorry Fwiffo. :(
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 01:30:35 pm by Itnetlolor »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2014, 03:06:46 pm »

E: Whups, wrong thread. :p
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:57:06 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Cowboy Colt

• Bay Watcher
  • You're gonna carry that weight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2014, 12:21:48 pm »

I kind of feel the advent of achievements/trophies/etc. killed a lot of the self-imposed challenges of the past. Some were encouraging, some not so much.

I love to restrict item usage and that sort of thing.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2014, 12:48:42 pm »

In games that let you, going weaponless can be pretty fun. Oftentimes it can make the combat very grindy, but with creative tactics it's great fun.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #67 on: November 30, 2014, 10:57:56 pm »

Speaking of weaponless. Berserker runs; only fists or melee weapons in FPS. Or if you must, then knife only (if option to throw it is available as well). Let's Rambo this a bit.

Speaking of Rambo.

Rambo III
Platform:
Sega Genesis
Challenge:
Rambo Mode. Knife kills only. Unless otherwise impractical to do so (besides challenge; like destroying the final gate of a level; bombing outpost towers is also permitted; but if they can be within arm's reach, knife them; if not, chase them down). Knife kills are an efficient way to collect powerups.

Actually pretty fun if you know what you're doing. I remember a livestream I did having me somewhat do this before. Doing a prison raid (level 2; rescue POWs) was never so fun, where as the infiltrator, and not prisoner, you shank the guards just for the challenge.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 11:00:49 pm by Itnetlolor »

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2014, 01:32:21 am »

Let's see...I played the Halo 3 campaign once using only melee attacks (Running things over in vehicles counted as melee attacks). I don't think I ever finished it, but I'm pretty sure I got to the last level. It's been quite a while.

Also, a small one for DCSS given to me by a friend. First, play as a human wanderer. Then, you only have one other rule: If you see a staircase, you must descend. You cannot go back up staircases. The goal is not to finish the game, but see how many floors deep you get. Should you somehow see the entrance to the Realm of Zot without dying, you can go back up and do rune branches, but they're subject to the same rules, and you can't go up until you have the rune for that branch.
My  best run of that was about four floors deep, before some gnolls poked me to death.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]