Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I just checked the wiki, so having 9 fps means...  (Read 1081 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
I just checked the wiki, so having 9 fps means...
« on: November 25, 2014, 11:27:53 pm »

Fortress mode counts 1200 ticks per day and 403200 per year...
So the game needs to run unstopped for more than 12 hours in order to pass one year.
I have been on year 564 for almost one week now.
 ::)

Edit*

My fortress has a tower, so the possible walkable area is from around -20 to 148. I wonder if it will help a bit if I burrow my dorfs.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:35:25 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I just checked the wiki, so having 9 fps means...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 03:34:25 am »

My experience is that the FPS tends to be considerably lower when your view is over ground, especially a few Z-levels above it. If you have some parts of your fortress buried, you might change your view there and see the difference. Also, if your FPS is lousy early on, you should probably give up and start anew, because it only gets worse. A small embark helps (I'm using 3*3: for various reasons I don't want to go smaller), and a pocket world should help as well.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 07:35:48 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maximizing_framerate

Wiki's tips on increasing your FPS. Or ask Santa for a sweet new computer.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 08:27:48 am »

My experience is that the FPS tends to be considerably lower when your view is over ground, especially a few Z-levels above it. If you have some parts of your fortress buried, you might change your view there and see the difference. Also, if your FPS is lousy early on, you should probably give up and start anew, because it only gets worse. A small embark helps (I'm using 3*3: for various reasons I don't want to go smaller), and a pocket world should help as well.

Usually I play with population caps. Until now I want a king so now I have 140 dorfs.
It is not always bad. Three times some HFS monsters/FBs sneaked into my fort and every time I closed the hatch just in time. 8)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:13:29 pm »

If you're playing version .40 and you have over 100 dwarves, your FPS is going to slowly dip in to the single digits.  My i7-4790k overclocked to 4.6ghz can barely run 130 Dwarves at 20 fps.  :(

sumusiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 01:04:08 pm »

I'm at 90's with 100 fps with an i3..

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 05:31:56 pm »

Are you using TwbT? If so, does disabling multilevel rendering help?
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 08:05:47 pm »

Smaller window helps a bit, actually. I can get around 11fps when the dorfs are not so busy.
I'll check if disabling multilevel rendering helps.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:09:02 pm by utunnels »