Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Realistic weight weapon volume modding + speed/force editing  (Read 942 times)

MODcrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Realistic weight weapon volume modding + speed/force editing
« on: November 30, 2014, 04:33:51 pm »

So, after being annoyed at the ridiculous weight of df-weapons, I decided to mod them to have realistic weight in steel and iron. (Also stopped pure copper from being anything else then ammo-usable)
Assuming others would like to take a look at it or even use it, here are the contents of my item_weapon.txt.

It is NOT ready to be incorporated into your df-version, check for differences/modded items, it's more "scientific/experimental". ITEM_WEAPON_SPEAR_ELF is a dummy for realistic-weight elven spears. Also, results of blunt damage are still way off. You might notice that I tried to simulate weapon reach by spears having shorter prepare time, or tip-heavy hammers having longer recover times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic weight weapon volume modding + speed/force editing
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 09:24:44 pm »

Have you tested this in arena mode? How does it affect things like the effectiveness of armour, or the chance of serious wounding? I'm just wondering, because if you simply reduced the weight of weapons I can imagine armour becoming vastly more effective, unless you've nerfed the defensive capabilities of metals as well.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:45:14 am »

The shortsword is still a bit heavy, they are usually below 1kg/2lb. Assuming your using steel density here.

The great axe could be around 2kg, if your basing it off a Dane axe.

The bows are going to be silly heavy, goblins and dwarves at least will still make them out of iron and steel sometimes.

The warhammer is also going to obliterate any armor it touches, might want to reduce that a bit.

Beside that the weights seem accurate enough. Guess I better hurry my own mods along though, they do practically the same thing along with expanded and more historically accurate weapons  :P
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

MODcrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 04:36:24 pm »

Well, I thought of the short sword as a "one-handed sword", the longsword as a "hand-and-a-half".
My dwarves only make bows in strange moods though.

And I tested the warhammer again. It does not penetrate helmets apart from skin bruises, on bare skin however, it obliterates any bones beneath.