Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: where am I?  (Read 527 times)

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
where am I?
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:37:10 am »

i can see my dwarves all say that they are members of the everlasting silver he arrived to eshtankanzud.... <--- all names in legend viewer, the game itself when looking for embankment shows English... i literally can find the region i live in for the life of me, i think i'm just dumb and it's the same thing... but i can't find me.

the main reason i can't find me is because the legend viewer donesn't want to work when i load a legend that i already started a playthrough on with fortress mode, and it always gives me an error "unhandled... something something..." so other than just trying to remeber where i embarked, i can't find me :{.

i would be really greatful for any kind of help, i'm sure this is a dumb question and problem to be honest.
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: where am I?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 08:57:31 am »

You're Armok, the great overseer of the fort, the near omnipotent presence that commands the dwarves.

A bit more seriously, no, you don't have a character that's 'you' in fort mode, however you could nickname one of your dwarves if you wanted to.

I may also be completely misunderstanding your question here.

EDIT (and also morning not quite so initial thinky): Oh you mean legends viewer, Yeah I'm having a problem with it too. You can post in the thread for it in the third party programs subsection of the modding section.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 09:00:20 am by smjjames »

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 09:10:59 am »

It's probably my bad grammar, but pretty much i'm just asking, is there a meathod to find out where i am in the grand map, and can i expand me fort past borders? or am i restricted to the borders of my prerendered area?
This forum is the most helpful and polite i have ever seen. always happy to help my many post and to you all i say thank you so much for making me feel welcomed!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 09:17:04 am »

You're restricted to your preselected area. There isn't really a way to tell where a previous fort was set up (or where your current fort is set up, either) if you don't know the general area already. If you do, you can look for ruins/a fort (if you abandoned/retired) on the map. They show up as an omega if I remember right.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 09:24:25 am »

You're limited to the zone you embarked on.

The name of your fort should show up in the z screen.

justicarab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:12 am »

thank you for the help guys!