Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is your Game of The Year?  (Read 1370 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: What is your Game of The Year?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 05:48:33 pm »

If I made the thread about favorite games ever, mine would be Minecraft, to me nothing gets better than having a lightsaber and portal gun whilst using the tardis, in a suit of daedric armor with a brotherhood of steel helmet on, all of this taking place in the land of middle-earth  ;D
If processor speed still doubles every 18 months, and halving the length of the side of a Minecraft cube multiplies processing requirements roughly by 8, we should have half-cubes every 12 years. If the cubes are 1m on a side, getting to 1cm cubes may take as long as 80 years. This ignores various limitations in current processor architecture, but let's hope we continue at the same pace (in b4 environmentalist "carrying capacity" rant). It also ignores various clever ways programmers could save resources, bringing the target year closer from 2094.

Anyway, imagine a game like Minecraft, but your pickaxe becomes worn slowly because some pixels at the point get damaged, reducing its ability to pierce and dig away at stone. Your armor acquires holes which may allow a very lucky arrow to get right through without slowing down - and as you go without repairing those 1cm pixels for longer and longer, the holes naturally become bigger and the armor overall less effective - and in fact weapons will skip across your armor and snag in those holes.

Imagine mixing flour with water and yeast, pressing the dough to shape exactly how it'll look like when it's baked. Then when you take a bite, the rest of the loaf is left. Your hunger doesn't just reduce, the bread actually slips down your esophagus into your stomach where it dissolves and adds nutrients to your various tissues. Eat nothing but bread and the voxels of your body will lose nutrients, eventually making you sick. If a monster bites off your hand and swallows it, you can slay the beast, slash open its belly, retrieve your hand, and reattach it with a healing spell.

I wouldn't be surprised if it took until 2094 to get that game.

That said, I didn't play anything that came out this year. I'd pick up Shadowrun: Dragonfall but that's about it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic
Pages: 1 [2]