Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?  (Read 7389 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Sid Meier's Starships - Thought BE wasn't enough?
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2015, 04:28:52 pm »

So better as ipad coffee breaker than pc strategy game?

Anyone want to share their opinion?

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2015, 06:54:18 pm »

I'd compare it to FTL - It's a fun game in its own right, but it's not exactly the kind of game you have play for hours and hours on the same save file. Definitely more than a coffee break game, though.
(edit) Definitely longer than FTL, though. I'm on a standard map and about 1 hour or so in, I control 20% of the galaxy, and that was more or less the "free land!" part of the game.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:21:37 pm by Chiefwaffles »
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2015, 04:52:09 am »

well. reducing the lengh isnt the worst they can do to 4x tbh.
maybe i was overly sceptical with my previouos  estimation. at least they seem to have the balls to try a little bit new. (even if these innovations proably are just forced by the target devices)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2015, 08:06:43 am »

Eesh. That's just sounding more and more like a turn-off. Not enough content to be a 4X with meaningful depth, but too much to be a good "I have ten minutes what can I do?" game, and nothing innovative like FTL to keep things shiny. I'm just going to keep waiting for Sid and Firaxis to maybe make another good Civ game someday.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2015, 09:04:01 am »

This is just a average  mobile game, but bad and over priced PC game. Wait for a sale or get the mobile version, or better dont get it at all.
Make love not war

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2015, 09:18:44 am »

This is just a average  mobile game, but bad and over priced PC game. Wait for a sale or get the mobile version, or better dont get it at all.

what don't you like of it?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2015, 10:15:39 am »

I honestly have to say the price is also a turnoff for a mobile game. I can't think of any iPad games I would spend 15 euros on, especially without being able to try it in any fashion first.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2015, 11:24:21 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sid_Meier

Man...all these titles and mobile crap released after Civ 4..honestly, even Civ 5. was a meh. Sid has abandoned the pirate ship.   ::)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 11:26:28 am by gimli »

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2015, 05:08:50 pm »

I dislike the trend of mobile ports being cheapter than their PC counterparts.
Take Starships for example. The PC and Mobile versions are literally exactly the same. Why should you pay less for a version that's better in that you can play it whenever you want, wherever you want? If anything,  you should pay more.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2015, 01:10:18 am »

Well i broke the game.... or was frigging lucky.... Start the game i got the cloak wonder, great time to invest point in the cloak tech, then i start capping world only to find like 4 free tech, guess what i did there.

The whole time the ennemy could never shoot at me because the cloak wonder make you ship cloak as soon they move so basicly free action then you get to shoot. Suffice to say i spent 80% of my fight where the enemy could not shoot me, that and heavy investment in laser tech later on. Capped a pirate planet and dump a couple upgrade and city later on and won. If i can clear a game in a few hour top wich is supposed to be strategy... on an epic scale map vs 4 others... Man what the HELL happent to Sid... his game used to be good.... but now? Meh.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

GrayFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2015, 03:45:56 pm »

I dislike the trend of mobile ports being cheapter than their PC counterparts.
Take Starships for example. The PC and Mobile versions are literally exactly the same. Why should you pay less for a version that's better in that you can play it whenever you want, wherever you want? If anything,  you should pay more.

But people just generally aren't willing to pay as much for mobile apps.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]