Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embark without goblins as neighbors  (Read 1740 times)

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark without goblins as neighbors
« on: November 24, 2014, 01:35:58 am »

I've found an awesome embark site, but gobbos aren't listed as neighbors!  Does that mean I'd get no goblin ambushes or goblin sieges if I embarked there?  The wiki seems to imply that but isn't entirely clear.

If not, is there any simple hack or mod that would re-enable goblins?

Also, I've had this problem in a few created worlds.  I've been creating medium regions with mostly default stats, stopping at year 600.  Is that too early, so goblins haven't spread throughout the world yet?  Are there parameters I could tweak to improve the coverage of goblins over the world?

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embark without goblins as neighbors
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 02:00:07 am »

Where is the embark site? Is it in the middle of a mountain range? Is it on an island?

Those two places will prevent goblins from reaching you. Unless the civilization actually was spawned on an island\small continent.

If it's not on your neighbor list you will not have any goblins, except for those bandit groups that can attack. But bandits also rely on accessibility by the world map.

If the world has default stats you should try creating one with a higher number of civilizations. Any civilization(except dwarves) can spread out enough over just 100 years. If goblins really are rare in your worlds they are probably being killed by megabeasts or are being crushed in wars.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:02:43 am by Codyo »

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 02:24:27 am »

Cool, thanks Codyo.  I couldn't see any such natural barrier that would prevent goblin access, and the goblin/no-goblin border was in the middle of a savannah.  So I assumed it was about distance rather than access.  The same thing happened in two or three generated worlds.

I'll try increasing the civ number and maybe reducing the years of world history.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 02:41:04 am »

Distance factors in as well, but usually the range is pretty large from the nearest civilization's city.
You won't have goblins everywhere in the world either, that would mean they dominated it :P. Might as well call it the Age of the Goblins
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:43:17 am by Codyo »

Bognor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 05:10:31 am »

Oh, ok.  Well I put years down to 400 and increased starting civs 40 --> 80 and that got me a world with a great embark spot.