Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board  (Read 6270 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2014, 10:29:07 pm »

Flood the map with lava and live in buildings similar to those of The Jetsons.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
When I first got dfhack working I went a little crazy with stuff like changelayer and changevein plus the liquids tool.
Those are different z levels of the walled off wagon, tower extending to the highest z level above it, the memorial/statue garden above it which is almost exactly like one of the jetson homes, and a shot of what happened when I tried out changelayer RAW_ADAMANTINE instead of changevein RAW_ADAMANTINE...

Oh, the rough obsidian columns in the magma go up like 15 z levels to a layer with obsidian floors that keeps the dwarf blood rain off of the adamantine bridge and living areas.

The trees didn't ignite like I hoped they would, and at one point I was experimenting with ways to get rid of the ones floating up in the air after I tried to just put obsidian floors underneath them, figuring it would sever the tops... nope.

So I made an obsidian floor in the air above them hoping it would fall, nope. So I cleared it and tried to make a wall held up by ice columns, then made an ice floor with magma over it, finally the game realized what was going on and decided to do something about it, so it all collapsed finally, punching the nice square hole full of water in the screenshot showing the raw adamantine layer revealed.

The top layer turned to obsidian, leaving the water under it, flooding part of the farms, and the extra magma finally fell, pushing a wave of fun over the wall into the living area that I had to deal with.

When they say tiletypes can break things badly, they MEAN it can break things badly. :D
Later I put a solid column of obsidian down the volcano and dug supply tracks with an anti-impulse elevator for an attempt to invade hell... from below:

Unfortunately when I did a system update it included rewriting my dorf fortress folder and screwed up the save. I wasn't even able to get dfhack working with that save again, and it took another version or two before I could get it fixed, so I never got to go through with it.

Was gonna install ballistas in the bottom chamber, crack the wall and kill the random straggler demons, then after establishing a presence down there around where the clown car should spawn I was gonna crack open a tube from the top and see what happened. T.T
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:41:52 pm by Max™ »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 04:04:12 pm »

After playing a fair bit of Starcon 2 (HD) again, and getting back into DF, here's something I would like to see: (best suited for fans of the game)

Anyone willing to design any of the ships, to-scale, in DF? Keep in mind the conversation screens of the ships, and how they would be laid out inside (usually the command room of the ships), the rest would be a best-guess kind of thing.

This idea came to mind when I was thinking how the Precursor ship the Vindicator is in the game (being modular and all, and able to crew an insane amount of people, provided enough crew pods), and nifty it would be to replicate it in DF. Hell, even run a succession fort of running a ship (it's all interior anyway, pretty much). Just isolate (or use DFHack to edit area) the section the ship would operate within.

So, for example, anyone want to run a succession fort based on Fwiffo's Star-runner (Spathi Eluder/Discriminator); or alternatively, act as the more brave "Black Spathi Squadron"? Made more amusing since plenty of times, I've noticed that many gameplays of DF result in having as Commander Hayes described the Spathi as "Cowardly mobile clam, armed with a howitzer." for your military, or run of the mill dwarf.

EDIT:
If you build or mine out the vindicator (interior), then I guess you can say it's day-to-day life on board the ship (keeping the shiva furnaces going, maintaining the hellbore cannons, making sure all the stored minerals from the lander missions are stable and intact before depositing them at the starbase), while the captain (player) has the convenience of going faster than time.

EDIT EDIT:
Alright, now I want to see someone run a community fortress on board the Vindicator. Allow everyone to play Starcon2 for a bit, and design the ship, and submit screenshots of how they want it designed, and then run it from there.

A Starcon Mod would also be pretty neat. Dwarves versus the Mycon? Now I'd like to see that. The VUX and ORZ are pretty much FBs or clowns anyway. The Ur-Quan look like a nasty encounter in hand-to-hand combat. Given the lore of the game, the Spathi are probably the next-dwarfiest race in the game. The Shofixti would be a nightmare encounter on foot (handling a small team of those little samurai fuzzballs would keep you busy); hell, even their ships are little flying nukes. I would belive the Arilou would also be rather familiar with DF physics.

Mod story: The Sentient Milieu held in reserve a special world in which all races in conflict can handle their issues in an isolated environment. Eons since the Milieu vanished, reclaimers have learned of it, and in a rare instance, agreed to try it out, inviting all sentient races in the galaxy to check it out, regardless of their allegiances. This is their story. Naturally, the (New) Alliance of Free Stars are butting heads with the Ur-Quan Hierarchy and their battle thralls. We've done space combat; now let's see how they'll fare, stuck on a single planet. "ON THE NEXT "THE REAL WORLD"..."
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:01:27 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 2 [3]