Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is Dwarf Fortress multi-threaded much?  (Read 1122 times)

Disruptive Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.relicnews.com
Is Dwarf Fortress multi-threaded much?
« on: November 14, 2006, 05:56:00 pm »

I just want to know, because it would be a compelling reason for me to upgrade to core2duo or whatever.

Yes, I'm serious, I would upgrade just so I can handle a larger fortress.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dwarf Fortress multi-threaded much?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 07:23:00 pm »

I don't think that would give you a bigger fortress, just one that runs more like basaltic magma than granitic magma.

(That said, even if the game is entirely single threaded, that would just mean that you could have one core doing your Fortress while the other calculates all the digits of pi.)

Disruptive Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.relicnews.com
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Gakidou:
<STRONG>I don't think that would give you a bigger fortress, just one that runs more like basaltic magma than granitic magma.

(That said, even if the game is entirely single threaded, that would just mean that you could have one core doing your Fortress while the other calculates all the digits of pi.)</STRONG>

Heh, Earth Science.

Well that's what I meant. Being able to handle a fortress with more dwarves at a playable level of lag.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 12:59:00 pm »

As a guess, I would say that it is not multi-threaded at all (I havent noticed any real difference between my dual and single core machines that I use).

You may gain some performance from the new CPU because of 2 things:

1 - it's probably a faster processor
2 - a second core lets DF have one core, and the rest of the machine can use the other core.

Lost Creation

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 01:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Draxxalon:
[QB]As a guess, I would say that it is not multi-threaded at all (I havent noticed any real difference between my dual and single core machines that I use).

I've been monitoring Task Monitor while DF generates a new world. Never went over 50% CPU utilization. Since I have two cores, that supports your theory -- at least as far as generating worlds goes.

Spent a short time playing with the same results... nothing over 50%, so DF is most likely all single threaded.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 02:46:00 am »

You could play two games of DF at once, and not have either slow down the other! BRILLIANT!