Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Videogame project  (Read 1922 times)

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame project
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2014, 02:04:18 am »

Speaking as someone who has done the 'let's collaboratively make a game' dance on this very forum, I think you may want to take a step back and think through this. I don't mean scrap the project or anything; I just think you might want to reassess where you are with this.

You've put together a little description of a Homestuck fan-game, supplied five images, and basically went 'have at it'. Given that nobody has even committed to the project, you're not gonna get very far on that alone. If you're hoping people will step in and make your game for you, I'm afraid you'll be disappointed even on a forum as benevolent as Bay12.

Why do you want to make this game? Given that it's based on Homestuck, I can only assume it's simply to make a game that you'd want to play. If that's the case, why don't you start developing it on your own and ask again when you've made progress? I can guarantee you'd get a better response overall. If you don't know how to program well enough, there's a programming help thread floating around here somewhere, and you can always make a thread asking for help with specific bugs and issues you run into (much like you did with this thread originally).

If you don't want to do that, well... Sorry, I guess? Unless you're offering money, you're pretty much out of luck.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »

My main goal is to practice collaboration.
However, most group projects are beyond my skill level to contribute to.

I feel like I don't get anywhere programming alone.
That's the gist of it.

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2014, 08:10:25 pm »

My main goal is to practice collaboration.
However, most group projects are beyond my skill level to contribute to.

I feel like I don't get anywhere programming alone.
That's the gist of it.

Well, no better way to fix that than to jump into a project!

My best advice for you, the advice that I wish I had received back when I was a wee lad starting out programming, is to break everything down into very small chunks and write all of them down in an organized way. For example, your summary of the game is a good start, but try breaking it down further. Take the game's layout:

The map will consist of 25 rows high by 7 seven squares, size 100*100 pixels. Row 1, square 4, holds john's house.
Row 25, square 4 will hold the gate. John's goal is to reach the gate, by building and fighting.On the way, John must fight imps, that spawn on newly created ground.

That's a great start. In programming terms, what does it mean? You have a 7x25 grid that has to contain information for what's inside each square, so you could start with an empty 6x24 array of strings and manually set [3,0] (aka the middle of the bottom row) to equal 'house' or something equally descriptive at the start of the game.

Then how are you going to convey that information? Well, you specified that each square is 100px on each side, so you could create a function that cycles through the array and places an image for each entry into the game world every 100 pixels in each direction (with 'house' having the picture of the house, ' ' being a blank square, etc).

Then, whenever John builds something, you can simply change one value in the array and the game will change the display to match (you can use something similar to the display function to check for things like collision or what have you).

Now you might have something like this (in Unity-specific-JavaScript-based pseudocode that won't actually work as-is):
Code: [Select]
var mapArray : String[,] = new String[6,24];

var houseImage : Texture2D;

function Start () {
    mapArray[3,0] = "House";
}

function Update () {
    DisplayMap();
}

function DisplayMap () {
    for (var x = 0; x < 7; x++) {
        for (var y = 0; y < 25; y++) {
            if (mapArray[x,y] == "House") {
                GUI.Box(Rect(x*100, y*100, 100, 100), houseImage); // creates a box starting at pixel x*100 and y*100 and extends 100 pixels in both directions, filling that area in with houseImage
            }
        }
    }
}

Now you've got a very basic view of the game world to build off of! It gets easier the more you practice, you just gotta keep at it. There're a bunch of people better at programming than I am here who would be happy to help with individual problems as they come up.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 02:04:58 am »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/za15mxlziyxdgha/BuildingGame.exe?dl=0
windows, .net framework only.
I have building and moving implemented. I would call the game pre-alpha, and with little game play value at this juncture.

Test it to see if you can find any bugs. The text at the top I am using for debug output(I don't know any easier method.).
You cannot build at the top and bottom rows.
To build, click within two tiles (taxicab distance). in this debug version, you have 50 units of stuff to build with, at 2 per build.
it's unlisted atm.
to move, click on a built ladderplatform.
to win, build to the top and move to the top middle square.

Todo list: imp spawn, imp movement, imp combat(animations and quicktime event for block and attack)
and see if someone might make a tileset.

When I downloaded the project from dropbox, windows said the project was potentially unsafe.
Does anyone know how I would sign the code or whatnot to show that it is safe?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:36:56 am by eerr »

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 07:08:16 am »

More about signing here, but I wouldn't sweat it for now.

I've tried your game... and I've won! I've build straight up. I've encountered no bugs (I know of) during the play.

I'd say the next thing you should figure out is how to display debug data on screen and a toggle key which hides/shows the data at will.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 07:38:16 am »

Ran pretty nicely for me. Took me a while to figure out the controls, though. However, I did encounter one thing that may or may not be a bug. I can't seem to build directly right of the exit block. I didn't test any other blocks on the top row, but if this isn't intended behavior, you may want to look into it.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

dorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2014, 07:31:13 am »

NOTICE!
It seems the OP has made a new thread for the game here.

@eerr: Not sure whether that was necessary, but you might as well lock this thread now.
Pages: 1 [2]