Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Name of the Wind: Kingkiller chronicles spoiler thread.  (Read 1062 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Name of the Wind: Kingkiller chronicles spoiler thread.
« on: November 11, 2014, 03:38:47 pm »

I've been reading these books for some time, and think they're amazing, and would like to discuss some of the hidden plot points and secretive elements in them..  most of them would be spoilers.

Would anyone else like to delve into some of the details that Patrick Rothfuss put into his work?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: The Name of the Wind: Kingkiller chronicles spoiler thread.
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 02:13:13 pm »

I would be very interested, and while I don't remember too much in the way of details, I do wonder where the spider-things originated from. Maybe I just forget, but is it the Fae?

Also, those books have one of the greatest magic systems I've seen in a while, imo. Just saying.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 02:17:03 pm »

The naming thing is amazing.

And the Master Namer is the best character ever.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 04:24:29 pm »

Just checking, but are we allowed to say things from the second book as well? I don't want to spoil you of anything if you haven't gotten that far yet.

I would be very interested, and while I don't remember too much in the way of details, I do wonder where the spider-things originated from. Maybe I just forget, but is it the Fae?
It's hypothesized by fans that they are Fae due to their weakness to iron, but it hasn't been stated outright yet. My guess is we will find out more in the 3rd book.
Also, those books have one of the greatest magic systems I've seen in a while, imo. Just saying.
I do like that he establishes some rules for sympathy and hint at very precise ones. I do think he ran into a bit of a problem with Sanderson's law there where he made a rule based system that is too complex to explain though. As such even though the rules of the system (constants of heat transfer, etc.) are hinted at we never actually learn much about them, which somewhat limits their use in the story. It still manages to vastly outweigh our understanding of naming and the other Fae magics though, which is probably part of the reason why the story uses sympathy pretty occasionally to solve problems, but naming has only been used a very small number of times to address problems. (Most of which were Deus Ex'd into existence, so it's not too big of a deal when they get solved with a Deus Ex). As such while the magic system does serve as an excellent tool to emphasize Kvothe's other traits (intelligence, music, etc.), I don't know if I'd rate it as one of my top ones. :P
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:26:25 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 05:40:42 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 07:49:09 pm »

Good books, but I only read the first one so I'll stay out of here before someone spoils it for me.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 08:09:47 pm »

Yes, spoilers are allowed.

I'm not sure if the spider things were confirmed as being from the Fae.  Kvothe called them Scrael, and Bast had solid knowledge of what they are, but Kvothe also said they were from across the mountains.  There might be confirming details, but I don't have them in front of me right now.

There are also other magics that are unknown to the current civilization.  One of the things that struck me was in Wise Man's fear, there's that recap chapter where Willem, Sim, and Kvothe are going over the kinds of magic and a few demonstrations of Sympathy for Denna...  but she then mentions in passing a different kind of magic none of them know, about 'making things true just by writing them down'.  That's the kind of stuff that really got to me when reading them through, that Rothfuss would drop details like that in what could be considered a recap chapter.

... now that I think of it, didn't she have her hair braided into a story knot saying 'lovely' later on in that book?  Hmm..

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 09:36:37 pm »

There might be confirming details, but I don't have them in front of me right now.
A quick google reveals that (so far) there haven't been any actual confirmations given.
There are also other magics that are unknown to the current civilization.  One of the things that struck me was in Wise Man's fear, there's that recap chapter where Willem, Sim, and Kvothe are going over the kinds of magic and a few demonstrations of Sympathy for Denna...  but she then mentions in passing a different kind of magic none of them know, about 'making things true just by writing them down'.  That's the kind of stuff that really got to me when reading them through, that Rothfuss would drop details like that in what could be considered a recap chapter.
Going back to that particular scene I'm getting the definite impression that the conclusion of that scene on the magic writing was "it's a bunch of hooey". Though thinking about it now you might be able to get something similar if you could somehow do Naming in the form of writing. The sygaldry to Naming's sympathy, if you will. It would certainly be an interesting thing to see show up in book 3.

That said there are definite other crazy ones out there, though from the impression I got most of them are linked to either a Fae creature (such as some of the things Felurian does) or to something that is somewhat Namer and somewhat other (like the Chandrian). And it is definitely a nice touch to see for worldbuilding purposes, though as I mentioned before personally I much more fond of seeing 1-3 systems that have been fully locked down and explained in their uses than an unknown number of systems where the uses of each are virtually unknown.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 10:05:08 pm »

I'd be more willing to consider it a load of hooey, if it were not for the very significant chance of Cinder being Denna's patron, and her later writing a song which was praising Lanre.  There was also a few throwaway lines such as the one about the theory of perception being an active force..

It would also fit with the theory of the Creation War, which seems to be between a group of 'knowers' and a group of 'shapers', if you trust Felurian's comments about it.