Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fertility  (Read 839 times)

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fertility
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:09 pm »

Hi ,

I was looking for a way to limit children for individuals in civilized creatures. Looking for the Legends Viewers in some games with 550 history years or more , i see that when creatures live long life they a LOT of children.

Elves can have 10 to 40 children in their long lives ( if they live centuries ) . Even human can have 15 children and replicate at 115 years old ; and i'm talking about women.

Those kind of things are what make dwarf fortress a fun game.

But i'm wondering if you can alter fertility in a way or another ?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: Fertility
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:22:56 pm »

I assume that litter size has an effect in history and not just fort mode, so that's one way to increase the fertility rate.  Decreasing the adult age would also increase reproductive rates since children would mature faster.

Reducing fertility is harder and the only thing you can do right now is make children mature slower.  There's no way to make people have less babies unless that changed somehow with the last release.  In the past I've resorted to a DFHack script I wrote to terminate pregnancies in people in fort mode if they had already had 3-5 kids, but it's many versions out of date and probably doesn't work anymore, and definitely wouldn't affect history generation.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

jomen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 06:20:31 am »

I understand. For humans it is not really a problem , but for elves who lives long life it is an another problem.

And about Litter ? How does work litter in worldgen and can it affect fertility ?

Ladygolem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:03:22 am »

A 'litter' is when a creature gives birth to twins, triplets, quadruplets, etc. Some animals can birth/lay a huge amount of offspring/eggs in one litter. If you want to reduce the amount of children, a good start is making sure each elf can only have one child at a time. It probably won't solve your problem completely, but it's a good start.