Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: never figured it out  (Read 1098 times)

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
never figured it out
« on: November 13, 2014, 05:08:42 pm »

Is there a way to start out as a dead civilization? I don't feel like generating worlds till I find one.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: never figured it out
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 05:50:31 pm »

yep, i find most reliable way to do it is just add tons of megabeasts (also high civ number helps) in a relatively small world.
Then on embark screen, cycle through the available civs, if you can see no blue sprawl on the smaller (left side) map then it's a dead civ barring random camps (which has happened to me in 40.x)
The past monarch might still be alive however, and may show up to any fort you embark on
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 06:32:54 pm »

This may kill the diversity of neighbor civs too if you make the megabeasts, semibeasts and titans too high in number.
Usually goblins always come out of top since they do a lot of expansion before they get attacked. Elves are easy to lose in world gen.

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 08:55:35 pm »

I'm not new to dwarf fortress. I am well aware of what the various maps are (Although it is comforting to know we have people that are willing to help others). I was just asking because I have never even hovered over the advanced settings.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 02:39:26 am »

I'm not new to dwarf fortress. I am well aware of what the various maps are (Although it is comforting to know we have people that are willing to help others). I was just asking because I have never even hovered over the advanced settings.

Sounds a little contradictory, surely if you are an experienced player you would be familiar with all the generation options?

I had no idea about the megabeasts killing off civs, however. I wonder if that explains my lack of migrants.

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2014, 08:19:50 am »

Wouldn't the 'best' method be.. hm modding the Dwarves before generating a world.. in such a way.. I dunno.. Their beards are flammable and they all die out from day 1.

So the dwarves would only have several empty sites, while the other civilizations don't have any problems.

After world generation : remove the modding.

No idea if it's possible.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2014, 10:13:10 am »

I don't know about flammable beards, but you could lower the boiling point of their blood and watch them bleed out. Same effect. Dead dwarves.

WDDworf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:53:55 pm »

I don't know about flammable beards, but you could lower the boiling point of their blood and watch them bleed out. Same effect. Dead dwarves.

And it is possible to undo the modification after generation, right?

Should be a sure way to get a dead civilization...

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 01:08:00 pm »

Should be, just keep track of the original temperatures. It's been a suggestion for a while for dealing with particularly nasty animals. Mod some part of them to be self destructive, start the game up, and watch the fun. Usually this involves dewinging giant birds and watching them fall out of the sky. Or creating Thermonuclear Catsplosions.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 02:20:42 pm »

High savagery should also help.  You don't fuck with giant eagles, man.