Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Butchering a minotaur skeleton?  (Read 2060 times)

Ostar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Butchering a minotaur skeleton?
« on: November 11, 2014, 02:37:09 pm »

I have a partially mangled skeleton of a Minotaur (he by pure chance got on an outside bridge just as it was raising and was catapulted 8 squares, then plowed the ground for another 4 bloodsmeared squares). It's all skeleton now, so is there any way to butcher the skeleton for the bones? I'd love to have a Minotaur head totem and some minotaur bone crossbows.

I also have some Hamster Men skeletons that aren't mangled I'd like to butcher as well, in case the partially mangled status of the minotaur means it is unusable.

All the skeletons are in a refuse pile near my butchers shop, and the butcher still won't touch them when I give the order to butcher a dead animal. But he did for a couple of camel corpses in there earlier.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Butchering a minotaur skeleton?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 04:41:28 pm »

My understanding is that dwarves don't butcher sentients, which includes minotaurs, beast men, and even trolls, so all the goblins are going to clutter your refuse pile, which is as good a reason as any to convert it into a quantum stockpile.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 04:47:52 pm »

Or you could atom smash it.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 08:49:20 pm »

It might be possible to get usable sentient bodypart by combat.

Once, a hammerman hunted a herd of giant turtles. they retracted to their shell when he approached. after pages of hammer bashing the sheell, the shell finall "sailed off in an arc". and it is usable.

Maybe its possible to get minotor horn, snailman shell, etc in this way.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 02:54:14 am »

But, a giant animal is still an animal, so it's not sentient (and should thus be butcherable).

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 07:37:37 am »

There was no butchering involved. It was already a stack of shell when it fell from the turtle.

But I think you made a good point. Dwarves may still refuse to use sentient bodyparts, even if the butchering is bypassed.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

Harken

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force has arrived? Good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:46 am »

Dwarves may still refuse to use sentient bodyparts, even if the butchering is bypassed.

This.
Dwarf Fortress utilizes the most advanced graphics engine, your brain.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 04:33:32 am »

They don't butcher things that are humanoid, I was told. I could be wrong about that though. Minotaur and werebeast = humanoid, so no butchering. Giant turtle ≠ humanoid, so it's butcherable.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2014, 06:19:47 am »

I don't think it's humanoid, as Reachers are humanoid but non sentient, and ought to be butcherable. Since they're not trainable (and then [presumably] butcherable), I didn't bother with it, since my hauling is out of balance so corpse hauling never takes place and the bodies rot instead.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 02:08:04 pm »

Dwarves may still refuse to use sentient bodyparts, even if the butchering is bypassed.

Sentient creatures (with the [CAN_LEARN] tag) cannot be butchered, but dwarves are generally willing to use their bones. However, they do cancel decoration with sentient bones (with a helpfully incorrect "needs improvable item" error). Making goblin-bone crafts is apparently alright, though.

Two established ways to harvest sentient bones from living creatures are large serrated discs and very deep pits. Either way, you'll need to wait for the meaty bits to rot away. Once a creature is dead it's too late, unless you have a necromancer or a reanimating biome.