Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why isnt my mason building a staircase?  (Read 1097 times)

fuzzymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Why isnt my mason building a staircase?
« on: November 14, 2014, 11:29:27 pm »

Im trying to construct an up/down staircase 2 levels below my main floor, but for some reason my mason isn't doing it. I have stone on the same floor which is not forbidden or anything, I have up/down stairs on the floor above it, and I have a mason idling around. Why isnt he building the stairs?

I also noticed that when I built the up/down stairs that are 1 level down, it took a long time for my mason to start. I didnt notice anything change when he finally started, so I would like to know why its taking so long.

Link to save

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Why isnt my mason building a staircase?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 01:23:55 am »

Can your mason reach the stone and the stairs? The way you say it it sounds like the stone is on the floor where the stairs are, but the mason can't reach the stone to build the stairs because the stairs haven't been built...

fuzzymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014, 01:31:58 am »

No, the mason can reach the stone and the stairs. Let me clarify the situation a bit -

Level 0: has stone and down stairs.
Level -1: has stone and up/down stairs. This level has the meeting area and the mason is generally here.
Level -2: has stone and down stairs. There is a construct up/down order placed here that is not being fuffiled.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014, 01:45:23 am »

So just looked at the save.

The construction is being built with material that is inaccessible. That is because the stone is on the floor below your up\down stairs and the stairs below it aren't pointed up. Unreachable.
So those up\down and down stairs can't connect at all. When you designated the construction, you made it choose the closest material, which would be the stone right beside it.
When you make up\down stairs they're useless alone. You either have to build Up stairs below it, or Down stairs above it to make it climbable. Or up\down in either direction.

If you designated that construction with the logs that were on the surface, your carpenter could build it. Or if you mine some stone on the level your dwarves can walk around on, then you can make those stairs and make sure you choose the material your dwarves can reach.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:47:16 am by Codyo »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 02:13:55 am »

Never make down stairs upon downstairs.
You have to remove your up/down stairs, then channel out the down stairs, then rebuild the up/down stairs.
Don't use the two stones in that area, they are technologically unreachable.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

fuzzymonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 11:13:47 am »

So just looked at the save.

The construction is being built with material that is inaccessible. That is because the stone is on the floor below your up\down stairs and the stairs below it aren't pointed up. Unreachable.
So those up\down and down stairs can't connect at all. When you designated the construction, you made it choose the closest material, which would be the stone right beside it.
When you make up\down stairs they're useless alone. You either have to build Up stairs below it, or Down stairs above it to make it climbable. Or up\down in either direction.

If you designated that construction with the logs that were on the surface, your carpenter could build it. Or if you mine some stone on the level your dwarves can walk around on, then you can make those stairs and make sure you choose the material your dwarves can reach.

Stairs are confusing...

So the Dwarfs arent smart enough to choose different, accessable stone if the first strone they choose is not accessable?

Thanks by the way, this did work.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 09:45:05 pm »

So the Dwarfs arent smart enough to choose different, accessable stone if the first strone they choose is not accessable?

When you designated the construction, you chose which specific stone to use. The game will only show building materials that are accessible to the construction site, but it doesn't hide those which aren't accessible by the constructing dwarf. You can, for instance, tell your dwarves to build a bridge with rocks that are on the other side of the planned bridge.

To avoid problems, order your mason to create stone blocks and designate constructions using those blocks instead of rocks. If you really want to use rocks, you can forbid the inaccessible rocks then re-designate the construction.