Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [ISG] Malign Happenings  (Read 1404 times)

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[ISG] Malign Happenings
« on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:14 pm »

Malign Happenings
A game of particular events of varied natures, set in the last quarter of the 19th century.
What is that? You want more than that vague one-liner? Well, I already have tipped my hand far enough. Take that as you may.

The Life and Times of Greggor Mazur

Chapter I - Antiquarian Inheritance
First Entry, Second Entry,
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 04:04:46 pm by escaped lurker »

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Malign Happenings
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:25:42 pm »

First Entry
Summer of 1880, Somewhere in the Countryside

There is a very disagreeable state of affairs, which has persisted for far longer than you would have liked.
Mentioned state of affairs, is mostly the state of your joints, spine and behind.

As for the disagreeable part, it shall suffice to say that mentioned parts of your body are, for all intents and purposes, hurting.
Verily.

With another jolt, the cabin and its inhabitants are once more thrown around. It seems there are plenty of stones that your rickety coach is not able, or worse yet, willing to evade. How you wish for the comfort of a railway seat, or a saddle.

A pained groan escapes your lips, and is directed accusingly at your friend and travel-companion. After all, he is the sole party responsible for this turn of events, safe his late grandfather - may the good man rest peaceful and with god.

Retracting his gaze from the window, the youth answers with a small sigh.
"We should arrive before mid-day."
Forcing a grin unto himself, he adds; "If the wheels don't give out on us first."

Groaning once more, you wonder how it came to be that you decided to spend your first semester break in this particular fashion...

~

Edit: A Cossack it is then. Update sometime today.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 02:22:38 am by escaped lurker »

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
Re: [ISG] Malign HappeningsG
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:03:11 pm »

Country of Origin: Austria-Hungary
Ethnicy: Bohemian (German)
Name: Immanuel von Drudenrot
Appearance: Dark, gaunt, slender-limbed, but thick-jointed. Weak chin, strong forehead. An annoying if mild acne trying to creep up the side of his neck.
Family Background: Minor Nobility
Freiherr at best, but proud descendant of generation above generation of decay and bittersweet triumphs
Favourite Childhood Past-Time: Reading Old Books
Major Juvenile Interest: Hunting
1 Academic Major: History
2 Academic Minors Latin, Chemistry

E: modified Academic Minors because I overlooked the relevant rules.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:28:47 pm by Liber celi »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 01:46:05 pm »

Country of Origin: Russia
Ethnicy: Cossack
Name: Greggor Mazur
Appearance: Short and well built with brown hair.
Family Background: Military Aristocracy
Favourite Childhood Past-Time: Village Rascal
Major Juvenile Interest: Cavalry
Major: Engineering
Minor: Chemistry
Minor: Latin

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 09:19:38 pm »

+1
Max avatar size is 80x80

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 10:40:58 am »

+1
+1

escaped lurker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 04:03:34 pm »

Second Entry
Summer of 1880, Countryside of Oblast Odessa

In a vague attempt to escape the current situation, you leave your mind to wander the circumstances of you being here. First off, there's Demyan, the four-eyes with which you bonded in your Latin Classes at the Lyceum in Odessa. Mostly over your differences, as the frail merchants-son is one of the most sheltered person you have come to know.

Obviously, how and why a Terek Cossack left his Host, is a somewhat unusual matter. Shortened down, being the 4th son leaves one with fewer options, and you did display a good enough head on your shoulders, together with a knack for technical instruments.

Either way, Greggor Mazur - you yourself truly, is still a soldier to the bone. You are a more than capable rider, obviously also adept at mounted combat - be it with honest weapons like spear and sword, or ranged ones like pistol and rifle. Even now, you keep your Shashka and .42 Berdan close, though you opted not to stay in traditional attire.

While you never were one of the stronger youths of the host, you certainly were one of the quickest, and also quite hardy. Recently though, you have to admit, that, while still above peasants, your educational background is still wanting, at least if faced with your current curriculum.

~

It is under such musings, more instances of being jolted around, and after a little nap, that the wooden structures that make up Shcherbanka come into view. Being somewhat of a local hub for the farmers, it obviously sports a church and market, but also three taverns, a multitude of shops and certain forms of entertainment.

All in all, about 400 people live in the township proper, with about double that in the surrounding area. Well, according to Demyan's previous observations, who already told you at length about your destination.

After entering the town, your friend directs the coachmen to his newly inherited estate by the western outskirts. Most of the houses that you drive by are dilapidated, though you are pleased to notice that the church is not.

~

The sun is at its zenith, with three perplexed men standing outside of a sizeable two story house. Still, there is a reason they have not entered yet, as all doors are locked, with even the windows bolted from the inside.

"We sent a letter to Anushka weeks ago, telling her we would arrive today..."

A deep sigh is voiced by Demyan, and it dawns on you that the live-in housekeeper has somehow not met her expected duties.

Locked out of the property, a short talk reveals your options;

Demyan presumes the elderly widow to be ill, which would place her and the key in her grandson's home, half an hour away by footpaths, and barely shorter by coach.

The coachman offers to drop you off at one of the taverns for supper, as he will head there if you don't have any more work for him.

There is also the matter of the luggage, though your friend assures you that it would be safe with one of his neighbours. You could also guard it yourself, while he makes a quick trip to the housekeeper.

According to Demyan, one of the second floor windows can't be locked from the inside. Once scaled, this would allow you to open one of the floor windows for easier entrance. You are confident that it should pose no problem to your athletic abilities to do so.

Relationship / Misc Spoiler... Tomorrow.

Phew. My knowledge about cossacks has surely multiplied today.
Else, the visible character sheet and more details will be added as they come, but mostly done by the next post, if not inbetween.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 04:53:43 pm »

Demyan and Greggor should go the the grandson's home in search of the Anushka.
Max avatar size is 80x80