Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Who's up for a UVTW?!? (Urist Versus The World)  (Read 648 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Who's up for a UVTW?!? (Urist Versus The World)
« on: November 11, 2014, 07:27:18 pm »

One dwarf walks into a stone room. It is a 10x20x3 stone cell, completely inescapable unless the drawbridge is opened. The outer ring is a moat of magma. Skeletons layer the floor, along with dropped armour and weapons. The dwarf stares ahead, eyes locked with his opponent. The only way to leave, is to win. To win, is to kill. But who will this dwarf face first, in the Urist Versus The World tournament?

___________________________________________________________________________________

Okay, now that introductions are over, basically, I want to make a tournament, of one dwarf (maybe whole squads at times) versus some exotic beast, or group of beasts. I have a few questions first:

1: Should it be in narrative, or video format? My writing skills are moderately good, but if people wanted it, I could do a video and put it on Youtube. I doubt I'd speak, as I have a few oratory problems, such as light stuttering, shortness of breath, and a few other things.
2: Would anyone actually be watching/reading each match? If no one is going to watch, I'll just skip this idea completely 
3: How many rounds should there be, how many dwarves, and what creatures should we use?
4: Should I do squad fights? Like ten soldiers versus, say, an iron clad hydra?

So who's up for this?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Who's up for a UVTW?!? (Urist Versus The World)
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 07:59:58 pm »

I will watch but narrative might be better, squad battle every so five battles.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 08:14:06 pm »

Alright. I'm thinking of doing it like this- the first fight is an all-out, free for all, every dwarf for himself fight amongst the military. I'll savescum first. Every squad will be seperated into their individuals, it will be turned to arena mode, and they'll kill each other. Whoever wins out of each squad will be the fighter for that squad. So four squads, so it's not too complicated. Then, once we have our four survivors, I'll make a fight tree, starting with maybe wolves or dingoes, then ant men, and working up from their. If the survivor dies, his killers take his place in the tournament. So in the end, we may have something like, a giant cave spider versus an ogre. Hopefully the survivors, well, survive. Whoever wins will be promoted to monarch through dfhack, and given a wonderful, accident free life, rejuvenated back to a twenty year old state, and well protected.  Squad battles will happen during big events, such as versus megabeasts. Hope this catches on.
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Skullsploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 11:25:06 pm »

This sounds really cool. But do your squads have candy equipment? Because if they don't maybe it would be cool to give them an upgrade every now and then.
"is it harmful for my dwarves ? I bet it is"
Always a safe default assumption in this game 

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 12:08:15 am »

I'm going to have them all have iron or steel.

Update: Aaaaand this will have to wait a while, because I turned that fortress into a !!fortress!! in a fit of rage. Had it almost ready for everything, just needed a danger room.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 12:23:42 am by StagnantSoul »

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 07:06:07 pm »

I've gotten a new spot to do it on. Smoothing the arena now.